Friday, September 21, 2007

Coming Around The Corner, Last Lap

I always wonder when the hourglass will be turned on its head. Or when things will get turned around. When mountains will become valleys and the low places lifted up.

And then I speak with someone who might make a difference. Beginning today. Today I spoke with this person and they asked me to send them some information. I could tell right from the start that they are serious, about business, and interested in what is going on. A somewhat high official but not a lawyer or anyone of that sort. Yet someone with clout, experience, and an open mind. Very to-the-point and articulate I might add.

I have little reason to think it will go anywhere because everything gets shot down. Someone tries to get ahead of my message and influence or prejudice the party first. There is a chance that this time someone is going to listen. They seemed to understand what I was talking about. In this situation, I get the chance to make a first impression and I'm going to know this person over the head with all the facts. If someone influences opinion after that, there's nothing I can do.

One new advantage I have, in navigating through the mess, is that I am a mother. In studies, mother rats completed tasks faster, made it through mazes more quickly and worked faster and smarter. They also survived longer and swam longer than non-mother female rats, when placed in a well of water. I'll have to find the study again, but in women, human females, the same is true. New brain synapses fire as well and make more connections. Mothers have to be survivors for their young.

No comments: