Friday, June 6, 2008

The Odd Couple Adjusts

I really need to see that movie "The Odd Couple" again.

The shock is past, I think, for my roommate. Surface shock at least. Maybe he really can't figure me out either, because everyday he says something like, "I thought...", "...But didn't you say?..." and "...So what made you change your mind?"

(insert the song sung by Patrick Swayze, "She's Like The Wind"...music is now playing)

"She leads me by moonlight, only to burn me with the sun...she's taken my will, but she doesn't know what she's DOOonee!"

Okay, with that song playing the background, I'll add, I think he's past the grief phase too. And yesterday, I believe, was the last I shall see of the angry phase. He thought I was big-time atheist. He thought I was a more voracious reader (listen Pal, you try to read through a dozen books while scraping a job and living situation together within a week!). Yesterday, a few lightplates broke. I had noticed a hole in the bookcase when I moved in. And he was very grouchy when he took me to an interview yesterday. I said, with a slight smile, in contrast to his grim and dark expression, "Thank you! I'll call you in a few!" I said this is a light, cheery ton, and after I closed the car door, he peeled out on gravel. My response was to smile to myself as if I'd been the intentional creator of his state of mind. He's such a drama king. He's not "violent", but he has this bad temper and thinks he needs to take it out on the environment, which cracks me up. It's like watching Woody Allen kick a door and hurt his foot at the same time. I almost wonder if he's just pretending, but I suppose he's not. My response to outbursts, like when he was having problems with his computer and said he didn't dare touch it or he'd throw it across the room, was a nonchalant and calm, "Yeah. Don't." I guess I kind of ignore it and don't make a big deal about it. But, he said that was the worst and he's not usually like that. I fully believe him. I know the effect I have on men...


hahaha. Okay, roommates. He's going through an adjustment period and this is all to be expected. I've already signified he's gone through shock, grief, and anger, and I believe that THIS DAY, toDAY, is the Day of Acceptance.

He is now sleeping fitfully in his bed, with his ocean sounds going, and his earplugs, and I'm downstairs, devising a devious plan...okay, just kidding. I like to think about my victims while they sleep though, it brings a smile to my face.

I made my bed yesterday. I took the initiative and washed the sheets, and made the bed, and this clearly gave him a lift. I unpacked my bags. I had taken the shower curtain too, to wash it, but then he didn't have it up when he wanted to take a shower, so that was sort of a hit-and-miss.

He was somewhat territorial about the bacon he cooked the other day at breakfast, so I might be in trouble for breaking into his french burnt peanuts this morning...

C'est la vie!

He REAALLy reminds me of this other M. It is so bizarre. I had to even look at the shape of his ears and teeth in earlier photos to be sure this wasn't the other M. I knew. This guy likes to cook now and then, like the other M., and is sciencey, and even has huge books on horses and western riding. They even say "Halloween" the same way. I tested him yesterday, saying, "What is that holiday in October called again?" because I didn't want him to imitate my pronunciation. He said it just the way the other M. did. He was born in CA too.

Anway, aside from my deja vu (which, I believe, I've typoed twice on my blog as deza vu and deva vu), this is a trip.

No comments: