Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I Was Mistaken For A Native Spanish-Speaker

My get-going songs the last 3 days have been:

Akon's "Dangerous"
Usher's "Love In This Club"
Meredith Brooks "Bitch"

Also, this is random, but my Spanish must be getting pretty good. A few days ago, I went to a club with some people and I walked over to some guys who looked hispanic. I just wanted to practice my Spanish! So I began speaking to them in Spanish, with no English intro, and we talked for about 10 minutes and I asked them if they spoke English. They said yes and asked in Spanish if I also spoke English. When I said yes they laughed and started talking to me in English. They had to ask me if I spoke ENGLISH!!!! That's huge, right? for native spanish-speakers to assume my first language was Spanish? So I was flattered and proud and now I'm approaching anyone who looks hispanic or latino in the least, with Spanish first. This guy at the mall I asked directions from was really impressed and said it was also nice to see someone working on Spanish when the Spanish speakers work so hard on English. He didn't speak any English. Then, I talked with a Cuban-Honduran and he understood me perfectly as well.

My pronunciation is very good I think. I think I'm getting the rhythm down better too, so this is probably how I've enhanced my credibility. I just need some grammar classes.

I suppose I'm stress-writing now. But these are also things I want my son to know. I tried out some Farsi recently and that's a language I think I could pick up easily as well. French is harder for me, that gutteral sound...And even Arabic is difficult. There's one sound in Farsi that's a bit harder, but I could get it down with practice.

I wonder how many linguists are also musicians? It's all about hearing the sound and finding a way to replicate it. People trained in voice might have an easier time with mastering new sounds than others, I would think.

No comments: