Sunday, March 25, 2012

Vegan Recipes

I will include a few of them quickly. I am inbetween vegan and vegetarian. I was solid vegan and on a strict diet until the end of last month when I then went mainly strict vegetarian. Then I went shopping and got more vegan foods and will work back into that, probably to strict vegan and maybe the diet again because I can't take having someone dope up my food. I woke up this morning with zero droopy eye but I don't know if it got droopy in church bc of the torture or what. I only had something to drink before I went to church and didn't eat first. It is possibly a combination of being doped up and tortured. Since it didn't show in the morning I would only guess it was the torture. I guess someone got near enough to pray for me, but I think it's more of a stroke type of effect. I have actually seen it on others too, who have public photos posted. It's happened to others besides me but I don't think they recognize what it is. It's not wiccan or satanic. It's technology or medication. Still, when I was on the strict diet, it didn't happen so I guess I'll go back to that pretty soon, not just because I feel good about being vegan but it's easier to protect my food source.

Some things I tried when I didn't write about it:

1. Black bean burgers and shiitake burgers. I made both and the shiitake without a recipe and it had the same texture and taste of ground beef. The right cumin is key and I ground up the dried shiitake in the blender first. I almost thought it would break and I need a food processor. There were puffs and puffs of mushroom smoke coming up from the blender.

2. Cider Salsa. I have been making this for about 3-4 months now. It has the color of a pale cider or slightly orange or peach/maybe apricot drink when mixed right and is fluid and not chunky. I have tried making it thicker and I like it like with the consistency of Tapatio. I gave some to my parents for Christmas. Cut 1 habanero (scotch bonnet) and put in blender, add water to cover, puree, add organic onion (a couple tbsps or so) puree. Pour into bottle, add organic apple cider vinegar to 3/4 full, top with more water, shake. You can use more or less cider. I didn't know what to do with my habaneros after buying a bunch on sale so I ended up with this and a few other recipes. I tried another habanero recipe intuitively and found out it was a traditional one, from the region, which was fun to discover.

3. Horseradish salad. This is a new thing I discovered but it's not a big deal. I got mustard greens and they're sort of spicy or tangy and if you keep it raw leaf for a salad and pour the cider salsa over it, it brings out a flavor exactly the flavor and heat of horseradish.

4. Kale marinara. Tried this for the first time last night bc I didn't have spinach. Kale works as a sub for spinach marinara. I basically sauteed a little onion in oil, added oregano, and then pureed raw kale in blender, poured over, simmer and then add tomato sauce. Last night I also added bpepper and shiitake mushrooms.

5. Bread. I made a fast wheat bread with baking soda and the cider salsa instead of yeast and then braided it and it rose fine. That was the first thing I made with some rye/wheat flour I had. Then I tried it with cocoa powder and it made a dark brown rye looking bread, which I also braided. I braided all the batches I made bc I have to make small loaves in a toaster oven and there isn't enough room for a bread pan. After making bread daily I decided to switch to pancakes for awhile bc it's faster and not as practical when I have a toaster oven. If I had a regular oven I'd probably make my own bread if I had time bc it's only a little prep. However, I've never gotten into it bc in the past I've been on a toaster-only schedule--no time for making bread.

6. Oil and salt substitute for butter or margarine on bread and I use the salsa on bread too, with a little squeezed lime.

7. Bran mixed with dark molasses and a little baking soda and cider vinegar (or cider salsa) make fast "muffins" (cookies, on my toaster oven pan). Literally, throw in ingredients without a thought. Oh, forgot, add flaxseed egg substitute, or, what I used in this case, to gum it up instead of flax, was cinnamon. About a tbsp of cinnamon, just cover with water, put in microwave a few minutes, stir, and it should be globby. Then it acts as a glue to the bran and I added a few tsps of pancake flour (buckwheat, but you could use any kind) and that works.

8. Almost any bean or legume or oats, ground up, will make a flour for a kind of bread. I tried them all.

I'm sure it will come to me later but I made several other things that were vegan and tasted just like other foods. I pretty much threw it together without recipes but sometimes went to a book. Oh! A cheesy sauce substitute!

9. Mac 'n' cheese substitute. I didn't want to use the cheese mix for the boxes of mac n' cheese that I had and I wanted something sort of comfort-food and cheesy-like so I threw these ingredients together and it worked: blend up a cup or more of raw organic sunflower seeds, set aside ground flaxseed mixed with warm water for egg substitute, add a little cider salsa, salt, and (pepper, cayenne powder, whatever, to taste and season) and stir together and put in microwave (or cook on stove) for a few minutes. It comes out like a sticky cheese sauce, not gummy or sloppy, but sticky and gooey like cheese. Pour over macaroni. Stir. This was probably one of the best suprises because it met the same demands of mac n'cheese but was vegan. It had a comfort to it, and the texture was right, and the flavor was great. I think sometimes I poured in a little Silk soy milk to stir the flax and ground sunflower seeds together with but water also works. I am sure there are many cheese sauce/mix subs but this is what I came up with intuitively, with what I had on hand at the moment and it works.

10. Beet juice. It's better than strained than whole. I drank it whole, just scrubbed up beets and pureed them with water and drank but then I tried doing this same thing and then pressing through a strainer and it was much better juice. Then I used the bulk or pulp of the beets in the strainer, to put into a soup and drank the juice raw.

11. Red Vines-Green Vines soup. (I use all parts of the beet. Love the leaves and steam them, and then use the stalks for something separate than the root. The stalks made me think of red licorice, red vines.) So I made celery soup with just celery, parsely, water, salt, and cayenne pepper, and a little olive oil and then I decided the next time to cut up beet vines next to my celery "vines" and made a red-green vine soup that was basically a celery soup (or broth). It worked out in the same way and was very good on a cold draughty night. I had other vegetables but sometimes it's just nice to have a hot celery soup.

I will think of more but that's all for now. I'm not in the cooking mode anymore. I am trying to get things done to get my son. I cooked when I had nothing else to do and could entertain my curiosity online. When my computer was shut down, I was panicked and we were tortured further and then I had nothing else to do in the torutre and no money so I checked out books from the library.

Now I have a computer again but I need to revive my studies. I will maybe give an idea of how I self-tutor for math in case someone needs to break out of a box. I mean, you don't always have to do things in the order someone tells you to do it in if it fits your needs better to work in a different way. Everything is pre-packaged so we take what we're handed, but if you want to be creative and the package isn't working, work outside of it and trust your instincts.

Some people cut their cheese with the plastic wrap still on and some cut it after peeling the plastic wrap down. Who cares how you cut it if you have to peel it one way or the other. Peel now? or peel later? I mean, if you just want a quick slice or something, I don't think it makes a difference.

No comments: