Saturday, October 3, 2009

Phil Collins "Come With Me"

A very short and objective note which has nothing to do with anyone except me (I think that's safe, for now!):

I heard this song on the radio the other night, "Come With Me" and I thought it was Peter Gabriel but looked it up tonight and it's Phil Collins. As soon as I heard this song, an image flashed in front of me, of two ballet dancers, male and female.

It was like they were in an imaginary circle sphere, that was the invisible boundary, and they moved clockwise, but traded places. One at one end, at the 1 o'clock, and then the other at the 7 o'clock or so, maybe more like 2 and 8, and at this diagonal, they then moved towards eachother in a straight line, drawing arm against arm as they exchanged positions.

Then, more walking or the sphere was moving behind them and again, the exchange. It was just something to do with the start or set up of the music I think. I have never heard this song before.

But it was sort of interesting, because I didn't try to conjure the idea, it just came from the music, into my mind's eye. Apart, moving together, touching briefly and drawing apart to opposite poles once again. Both of them with arms straight out to the side, stretched out, and then in contact and drawing apart with arms sliding then, against the others, to the fingertips. Reaching as pulling apart. Like one, in the center, like the middle of a clock, and then pulling out as opposite arms of that clock.
********************

I wanted to sing "In My Place" by Coldplay, at kareoke, again, last night but again, it didn't work. So I sang something else which I didn't sound very good at and didn't like as much. I might like to sing another Coldplay song though. I'm able to meet the range and I like the melodies. Maybe "Fix You" or another one.

I sang "Bag Lady" by Badu, which I might do again, as it's a fun one to really work out and then I was a little tipsy (for the first time in months) as I sang a duo with someone on "Hit Me With Your Best Shot". I was then melodramatic, yelling, "Why don't you HIT ME? with your best shot?" and then laughing, because it was zombie day and my duo partner was playing the part of a zombie and didn't look like a very enthusiastic sporting partner. So I yelled at him to hit me, in a sing song way and he did, faked, and I faked getting a blow. That was one of the funnier parts of the night, other than this guy getting up there and doing some bluegrass song SO RIGHT. He was so good I had to laugh. One song struck me as sort of creepy--who sings "Old McDonald Had A Farm"? at kareoke? I want to hear my son singing this, maybe not a grown man, or sort of half-grown man I suppose.

Anyway, I hope they get more Erykah Badu. Yahoo to Badu.

Once people know you're tipsy, you really have to look out for yourself. You must be discerning when deciding what to sing. Before I was tipsy, a few people were suggesting some up and up songs and then after I was tipsy, it was like, "Sing "MORNING ANGEL!" (just call me angel/of the morning, angel/just wipe my face before you leave me, baby...) For one split second I thought, "Hey! that's a great range sort of song." and then luckily my senses are still in operation with a buzz and bells rang, "That's a song about a hooker Cameo. Do you want to sing a song about being a morning angel and what do you really think about the people who are suggesting such songs after they think you're too far gone?!"

I have two recommendations for single women in a strangetown bar (where you're the stranger sort of, in a bar, or sort of not always welcome, and sometimes okay):

1. Watch your drinks
2. Watch the winks

2 comments:

Yargnits said...

I really like "Come with me" by Phil Collins. The first time I heard it was on his live album from France. I later found out it was on "Testify"

The image I get from this song is that of a father and son/daughter. The father showing his child things in the world, cheering them up and protecting them.

Mama said...

Thank you for the comment!

Yes, I will have to listen to it again. That's a really great idea and I think it makes sense.

I'll have to listen to it again.

:) Cameo