Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Fish Intelligence

How intelligent are fish? According to some sites online, including research from scientists in the UK, fish intelligence has been greatly underestimated. This makes sense to me! I had the idea that fish were only instinctual, but then I got a fish. I don't spend a lot of time watching the fish, but I've noticed how "friendly" Prince Harry is. Even when he can just see me or my son, he wiggles closer to the glass, and especially when my son speaks to him. I don't think he's just looking for food. Although that is another thing...A tangent here...

The fish food instructions say to give the fish 3 pellets twice a day or 6 pellets total. I just decided to give Prince Harry whatever it seemed he wanted to eat. The instructions for blood worms state these are a treat to be given in supplement to regular fish food and to give only as much as the fish can eat in one serving. Prince Harry eats at least 6 pellets TWICE a day, and then can eat blood worms. He's not looking fat, either. I wonder if this is because he has higher caloric requirements because we've put him in a larger fish bowl than most betta fish are allowed. He's very energetic and swims all over the bowl, which is the size of a small tank. Some people put their bettas in tiny little jars. Anyhow, I've been thinking that not only is the food allowance wrong, that the assumptions about fish intelligence are wrong. Prince Harry seems to enjoy human companionship as much as a parakeet at least.

Last night I was about to feed Prince Harry when I noticed he wasn't active. He was floating close to the top of the water, gasping for air. I saw the water was bubbling and smelled bad. I don't know WHAT it was that my son dropped into the water. I changed the fish water, putting him into a small dish. I had read that they go into shock if you don't put some of their old water in with the new because they produce their own "stuff" that is protective and necessary. This wasn't an option with the bad water. So I thought if I gave him less water, he could produce that stuff again and it wouldn't be so diluted. I cleaned out the fish bowl, and transfered the small amount of water and P. Harry into the large bowl. Then I tried to feed him. He wouldn't bite. He seemed stressed out. He got his energy back in the new water, and was swimming around, but wouldn't go for the food. Finally, I thought maybe he was depressed at being in such a small amount of water when he was used to more freedom. So I filled the bowl to the top, and Prince Harry became very excited, made some rounds, and went right for the food, gulping it all down. That's when I thought, I think fish are smart. And I think they can be depressed and cheered up again.

Can you prove me wrong?

No comments: