Saturday, June 16, 2012

9 Tests In One Night (and studied all 16 sections)

I took nine exams in 1 night, after cramming for 2 days and a few hours of another day.  It was for a class that lasted 3 months, but I had to either get all nine tests in, within 1 week, or take an "incomplete".

I actually studied for 16 tests, not just nine.  I studied each of 16 sections even though I signed up for Part I, which is the first nine. There are 17 sections but I didn't really study the oncology section because it didn't have to do with the main body.   I went through the first part of the oncology section, but not to the last part. So I guess, about 16 1/2.

I put in the same amount of time for all sections, so even though I averaged with a "C" (an exception of 1 A and 1 B), I believe that's what I'd get for all of the 16 sections.

So, given about 5% the amount of time that you're allowed, and, studying double the amount of material, my C average (which, it said, was "average") was pretty darn excellent.

I wasn't able to take any of the tests earlier, or study for them, because the Elsevier online program for medical terminology was always malfunctioning.  It was constant.

Not only that, I had other finals to deal with, and peer reviews, and I still have a little work left to do this weekend.

But, since taking an "incomplete" would have potentially interfered with my financial aid for next term, at another college, which starts in a week, I went ahead and got it over with.

Some of the answers weren't figured accurately, so I would have averaged a "B" total, if this was taken into consideration, but since I videotaped things, I might be able to go back and have a grade change from C to B.  Or, it might already be a low B and it would then be a higher B.

But at any rate, it wasn't my fault, and I did what I could, and actually did more.

I would be able to pass both this section and the 2nd section, with at least a "C".  So for doing all that in two cramming days, I don't feel bad about myself at all.

I didn't copy or cheat.  If I'd have copied, I would have an A in all the sections, because I have an anatomy book here.  But I didn't crack it open once. 
********************************
UPDATE:

(I got the recipe and it's cottage cheese that my Mom uses, not ricotta, but I used both.  The recipe says either/or but my Mom did always use cottage cheese.  Also, it's 1 lb. ground beef but I used 2 lbs for something else?? and then this recipe doesn't say "Hunts" but when my mother gave it to me, she specified Hunts for tomato sauce.  I put it together the same way though).

So today my mother was making a pie for my Dad and I said I'd make lasanga for Father's Day.  She said it was too complicated and I said what are you talking about, I've made this ever since I left the house at age 18.  I had my mother's recipe and I made this lasanga a lot.  From 1994-until recently.  I always used the same recipe.  The last time I made it though, was about 5 yrs ago, before my son was taken from me so I forgot if it's whole ricotta or part-skim.  I know the mozzarella is part skim.  I usually got the taller smaller thing of it, but since I didn't remember which, I got two of the larger ones.  It's like 2 lbs ground beef, hunt's tomato sauce, paste, garlic powder, seasonings, onion, almost a whole thing of mozzarella, ricotta (smaller tub--like the 8 or 9 oz. one), and parmesean.  You boil the noodles too.

I said I need the recipe to see how much to get and my mother didn't want to grab it so I said how much I thought and she kept saying it was too complicated and I said, "I've made it over a dozen time--I made it ever since the left the house, up until recently".  Then I was saying, "I know it takes a whole cube thing of mozzarell..."--she cut me off and said "It doesn't take a whole thing" and I said, "Yeah, you're right.  It takes all of it except for a ball the size of a testes."  I added, "I know, because then I would eat the rest of it with slices of fresh tomato."  She nodded. I think she didn't know how many times I've made it.  I said I knew it takes cans of diced tomatoes too but sometimes I cut up my own instead. I told her, I've made it ever since I've been on my own which is since I was 18, and added, "I've been living on my own, not like Kate Middleton."

So I ran to the store and got ingredients and whatever I don't use,  they can have.

I was thinking of making a half veggie/half meat one but since this is the standard, and he likes it, I'm making it.

I said, "I want to be sure you're the only ones eating it if I make it."

Someone apparently got into my house today because they broke the string I had tied to know if anyone did, and I don't think everything they buy and all that I make is always going to them.  I am always finding something is bought and then disappears.

Not unlike what some group has done with my son in Dryden, constantly stealing from him and even stealing his food.

I have no idea why there was a big deal over the lasanga or if I knew how to make it.  Of course I remember.  I had the recipe in my recipe box since 1994.  I believe I made it when I got back from the East Coast and moved to a condo with my best friend Monica, and then after my auto-accident, I bought my house in 1996 and I had it in my recipe box, on an index card.  I had that recipe, the spaghetti recipe, oatmeal bread, oatmeal and chocolate chip cookies, no-bake (oatmeal, pb and cocoa powder) and sugar cookies with icing, lemon bars, chili, and those were the main ones.  I made brownies from scratch too.  I had a lot of recipes, but these were the main ones.  The spaghetti, lasanga, and chocolate chip cookie recipes were the ones I used most.  I always asked for either spaghetti or the lasanga for my birthday.  Or, I asked for pot roast.  I loved pot roast.  Then I got cookbooks too and tried all kinds of things.  I made cream puffs when I was a kid, when I'd never seen one in my life, and my parents didn't mention them and I found them in a cookbook.  I made creampuffs with vanilla custard and creams and with chocolate fillings (the chocolate ones had sort of a pudding-like filling, that's how I made them.  I puffed them up, and used a pastry funnel thing to push the cream or pudding or custard (I tried different things) through.  I still remember being so proud of my cream puffs, the first time I made them, I remember how they looked, lined up on the wood cutting board. I made the puff part from scratch, not with any of the puff pastry sheets you buy at the store. You dropped them onto a cookie sheet, baked, and they puffed up and had vacancies to fill.

I hardly ever made pies. I made a lot of fruit cobbler, all the time, but made a pie only once or twice in St. Johns (pumpkin and cherry with canned cherry pie filling).  Growing up, I made lots of cookies and cakes.  I made most of the cakes from Betty Crocker cake mix boxes but some from scratch, and always used buttercream icing.  For Christmas, I always made fudge. I also made chocolate covered peanut butter balls sometimes, and other things. I made caramel corn and popcorn balls in St. Johns and then along with fruit cobbler, lots of quick breads (zucchini bread, carrot bread, apple bread) and lots of pudding and custard on the stove, from scratch.

I liked pickles and pickled things like dill pickles mainly, and olives, and artichoke hearts.  I bought these and could eat them from the jar.  They never lasted long, except for the dill pickles.  If I bought pimiento or kalmata olives, they were gone within a day or two.  I always had sour cream, mustards, and ketchup but I didn't use ketchup as much, except when I made hamburgers.  I had tapatio and salsas.  I never had chips or junk food except for corn chips, for nachos, and I made nachoes a lot, with guacamole when possible. I also made french fries from scratch or o'brien potatoes, but I never had potato chips or flavored chips.  I did eat a lot of baked potatoes, with cheddar cheese, butter, sour cream, chives (specifically) and sometimes bacon bits but not usually.  I went through a 5 lb. bag of potatoes in a few weeks.  They were cheap and nutritious.

At my house in St. Johns, I also sauteed a LOT of zucchini, mushrooms, and onions.  And I ate scrambled eggs almost every day, with cheddar cheese over them, and toast. I never used margarine on my toast, only butter.  I chose butter or jam, but not always both, to save calories.

 I also loved bacon and if I ever had a sandwich it was a BLT on toasted bread, or grilled cheese with tomato soup on rainy days.   I ate scrambled eggs or raisin bran with milk for breakfast and it wasn't until college later that I tried oatmeal more, thinking horses are energized from oats, so I'll try that.  I made pancakes with real maple syrup, not the artificial kind.  I mainly liked strawberries over pancakes if not just butter and maple syrup.  Most of the time I had a bowl of cold cereal or scrambled eggs or sort of omletted eggs.  I never had runny eggs or "eggs over easy".  The other meat I had was roast beef.  We always had pot roast growing up but I didn't make it myself as much and had Dinty Moore stew instead when I was on my own.  If I got sliced meat, it was roast beef or turkey. I ate way more tuna fish sandwiches than sliced meat kinds.  It was mainly tuna fish and BLTs.  My main casserole was tuna fish casserole with cheddar cheese.   And tacos with hard corn shells.   I fried tortillas in oil until one day I later tried lard and that shocked my roommates.  Shirina said, "Why is there LARD in the fridge?"  Later I got into nan bread, while still in St. Johns.  Baked it in the oven a few minutes and used kefir cheese and olives with olive oil and kalamata olives or sometimes balsamic vinegar and spices from a middle eastern store.

I ate more fish than other meats.  I bought salmon and broiled it in the oven, and sometimes cod or halibut, but always salmon.  I laid it across a broiling pan, so it could drip into the drip pan, and then had s&p and sometimes onion or lemon or dill.  I sometimes draped a few rings over the fish to broil that way, with dill or without dill.  I also tried very thin lemon rounds while broiling.  Occasionally I'd have a steak, but rarely.  I had salad with mainly vinegrettes but had 1,000 island, ranch, blue cheese, and catalina (house) as well. I got regular dressings except for blue cheese, I got Toby's blue cheese in a glass jar.

I made chicken enchiladas too, in St. Johns,--my Mom had a good recipe for that, but I didn't make it as much.  Chicken soup I made a lot.  Then I came up with exotic dishes.  I had red chili peppers in my kitchen garden so I used them for soups.  I didn't drink very much coffee then except for instant international general mills flavored coffees.  I didn't have a coffee maker for YEARS--I had a tea pot.  And a tea tray.  Jan, the nurse who came to rent a room at my house in St. Johns, said, "Where's your coffee maker?"  I didn't have one so she brought her own in.  I didn't really drink coffee (except for a cafe au lait with Granny and half-and-half as a kid) until 1998.  The main tea I drank was Constant Comment.  I had it almost every day and I had cammomile tea, peppermint, and a lot of fruit and other herbal teas.  I later tried loose leaf gunpowder green tea or green dragon tea. It was something like that.  I got it at a health food store.  I always used sugar or honey and didn't believe in any artificial sweeteners.  I usually had honey in my tea.  I never had soda of any kind, flavored cold drinks, wine, or alcohol in my house.  Just a LOT of tea. (and I did have hot chocolate with little marshmallows).  And a lot of milk.  I always drank milk.  I had no cold drink apart from water except milk.  Lots of milk.

Later, in college, I used to eat up to 4 hardboiled eggs a day.  I bought them at the college bc they were cheap, a buck for 2 hardboiled eggs, and were a quick snack.

With my pregnancy with my son I got into Chinese from scratch along with my other recipes.  I made sweet and sour pork and chicken all the time, with sauce from scratch, and batter and everything. I bought whole pineapples, and bell peppers, ... It was my biggest craving (that, and McDonalds english egg/ham/cheese mcmuffins).  And I ate a lot of fried shredded chicken tacos. I got very fat, but I never ate any junk--I ate the same as described above, except included nuts and oils that I felt were good for omega-3s and brain building and I switched from skim milk to whole.  So...sooo...FAT.  But it was good fat.






No comments: