Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Corsican Mint

I had a surprise buy yesterday.  I bought a Corsican Mint (Jewel Mint) without prior planning for it.  I'd done grocery shopping and it was near the end of day and I just felt like looking at flowers so I went to the nursery. 

I wandered around, thinking of a tomato cage and a climbing rose, but I stopped right in front of this section and this plant stood out to me before I saw what it was.  Then I found it was scented and knew it was perfect for my garden so I bought it.  It's a pretty ground-cover and I thought it was "stinky" enough that the deer might like it and it would be good for the organic garden.

My mother likes the smell and then I found out today that creme d'menthe from this plant!  So I'm sort of happy to find culinary uses too, and might distill it sometime.  It is the perfect thing right now because I'll have taller herbs but I was thinking of a ground cover that might work and found this.  When I looked it up, it did say it's good for organic companion planting.

From what I read, it's native to Corsica, France, and to mainland Italy.

No comments: