Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Making The Cut (I think) In D.C.

I got the job! Yay. So far I've nailed every interview I've gone on...but I'm nervous. Soy nervioso porque no sabes come es possible por me to juggle everything! I'm practicing mi espanol a lot porque dos personas son el salvadoran. Y yo habla con personas para Cuba, Honduras, Mexico, y otra, otra. I gave directiones a un hombre yesterday, to a medical center, because he was injured. Successfully! He approached me and I walked with him and gave directions.

I don't know how to juggle everything right now, that's my immediate problem. I have to talk to my bosses today and think...

Right now I'm waiting for my cell phone to charge enough because I was accidentally locked out of my apartment. I had to find a place to sleep last night, and didn't end up sharing housing OR sleeping outside (I'll reveal my secret later, because some friendly people gave me the idea and helped me out and i don't want it to be traced back to them). SO I didn't have an alarm either, and overslept, and now I'm about to leave for work late (I called first) but need my phone, and I had to throw pants in the washer bc I've worn the same ones for about 3 days in a row and need something tomorrow or soon after pair #2 is dirty.

All my bosses are wonderful, and direct. I have to go now because I only have about 5 minutes total to spare, for my phone charging.

Oh, and someone offered a place to stay, while waiting, a woman, and then after that, if I don't have a place, the artist guy said he'd help.

I met the mother of the artist guy. Which was so cool. I won't say very much, because now I'm "hired" and can't talk about my coworkers and customers, but she told me he was reading books about WWII at 6, was ODD, and pissed off his teachers by knowing more than they, and finally got into a private school where they were more "accomodating". He wouldn't wear shirts with collars. They had to be black. At age 6. He read Dante before 10, etc. He's a artist, for sure. Anyway, it was very cool to meet his mom. I didn't know it was his mom and just started chatting with her, and then found out. Anyway, that's all. I won't say anymore about him.

D.C. is full of interesting people.

Oh, and yesterday, I stopped traffic.

Literally.

I was walking down the sidewalk and crossed the street. A woman yelled at me and I turned and after reaching the other side of the street, saw money had fallen out of my pocket in the middle of the road. I said, "Oh! thank you!", waved acknowledgment and blew her a kiss, and then walked right into the thick of traffic, calmly, holding my hand out in front of me. Traffic stopped. I picked up my money, and proceeded on my way.

I didn't think about it, I just did it.

It was a little bit fun. I think I can control a situation, or give directions, only in "emergencies". Otherwise, I must be the hipster type too.

I have MORE people trying to recruit me for military. But yesterday someone told me about working for the "State". Not the state of Maryland, but the department of state or something. I don't really know what it is so I'll have to research.

I'm on my way papacito boss! Lo siento, necessito mi telephono por emergencias en este ciudad...

No comments: