Friday, August 29, 2008

Obama's Speech Last Night

Obama's speech.

I watched Obama's speech at a men's gay bar with a gay guy I had just met a few hours earlier. We were in one place and the sound was so muffled we couldn't hear anything. So he suggested the bar next door, JRs, and we watched the speech there, toasting.

This guy that I met was fascinating. He was doing research and experiments at NIH in Virtual Reality and getting his PhD in social psychology. I told him a little bit about my case and he said that more than needing a psychologist, I needed a good lawyer.

I was excited to meet him, though, because of news I've read about VR for veterans with PTSD and those with phobias. So it was fun to talk to him, and he and I both picked out the same guy as being the best looking. I said, "Do you think he's straight or gay?" and we laughed that we might be competing. We found out the guy was gay. Of course. It was a gay bar.

As I stood there, I thought about how these are my people in a way--anyone or any group that's been discriminated against for being different, in any way, I can relate to. I would like to defend and support the rights of these kinds of people. Whether it's FLDS mothers, gay parents, hispanic "illegals", or whatever.

On one hand, it felt historic to be there, and watching this speech by Obama, and I cheered. On the other hand, when Obama made his comments about people coming to the U.S., or America, on faith, because of "things hoped for" I couldn't help but think about what I've been through with the justice system here, and a church that has gotten away with using supposedly secular police and the state for their own ends. I listened to the positive comments about America being the greatest, and how, in America, ones dreams can be acheived, and it sounded hollow to me.

It's exciting to see the realization of Martin Luther King's dream, and yet Obama is, so far, just a face. Nothing has changed in the structure of the U.S. and I don't know that it is possible, by simply choosing a particular man for President. I thought his strongest points were about healthcare for people, and about educational opportunities for everyone (most important). I also had a lawyer tell me that after the appointments of a bunch of conservative federal judges, having Obama make new appointments would be a big deal. I didn't realize this was done only by the President. What also makes me think there's a little hope, is the fact that he was a civil rights attorney and that he taught constitutional law and then went into public service. To me, that says something. It's the kind of thing I would do, to serve the public. He didn't go to corporate law, and he has an interest in civil rights. Teaching constitutional law could also indicate he is interested in policy change. I heard him mention policies last night and for the first time, I understood what someone was talking about, with regard to politics. I never really "knew" what policies were about until recently.

If he is truly about what he says he's about, I do believe he is going to be in constant danger of assassination. So far, he's just a face. But if he actually wins and begins effecting this "change" he's talking about, he will need to be well-guarded.

I am thinking about joining the campaign, just to meet some like-minded people and find out more about politics in general. I really do believe the U.S. is on very shaky ground right now. It isn't too late, but I am not as confident as Obama. Then again, Obama may have his own doubts and may be saying a few of the "right" patriotic things to encourage others. Another book that my sort of ex-fling had in his bookcase, besides Zinn, was "The American Theocracy" which compares the U.S. to the Roman Republic and analyzes how it is in the same precarious position, pregnant with warning signs.

From the song "Falling Slowly"...

Take this sinking boat, and point it home, we've still got time/
Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you've made it now/
Falling slowly, sing your melody, I'll sing along

I still wonder how much I believe in my country, and if I am not meant to be elsewhere. I don't know.

No comments: