Friday, December 31, 2010

Schubert: Gretchen am spinnrade", op.2, D.118 - Te Kanawa

A new favorite!!!!!!!

I LOVE this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY0eeotSDi8&NR=1&feature=fvwp

I was listening to Te Kanawa familiar favorites of mine (madame butterfly and puccini) and this came on a playlist and it's the first time I've heard it.

Could I say "at her finest?" this is exquisite.

I have to say I love O mio babbino cara ever since I first heard it by her and on a Howard's End production (Room With A View). But this is very delicate. fantastique. I think, very fantastique.

I had some idea come to mind of how to describe this piece, as almost moving between different elements or genres of horror and romance and sort of alfred hitchcock but sci fi in a way...anyway, then the word "fantastique" came to my mind and I checked it and it fits what I would say about it perfectly.

Then I found myself trying to figure out the tempo with my foot and testing my music knowledge (which is sparse and includes only 6 months of laxodaisical (sp!!!msp!) music lessons)and I thought, before checking it...it's not 4/4 but I think it's something like 3/4 but it's different somehow and then I checked and it's 6/8 so I guess that's double 3/4. I don't know if I could say I was "kind of" close. For some reason I imagine using the soft pedal a lot on this song. A LOT. I've never played it, of course...I can't play. But that's what I imagined as I found my left foot moving to the tempo.

(won't be trying *intuitive* piano playing anytime soon)

Just as I said this, I "saw" in the minds eye, a woman swaying back and forth over the keyboard while playing this. But before, I saw more of a man playing this.

Exquisite also comes to mind. It sort of vaguely reminds me of some Anne of Green Gables scene too. There is something like this in the score or one of the pieces for Anne of Green Gables or the sequel Anne of Avonlea.

On that note, I might mention, I had my own personal Anne of Green Gables moment a few weeks ago.

I accidentally went about town and to an employment agency with green, YES GREEN eyebrows, and I didn't even know they were green.

I was given a moisturizer and sunscreen with zinc in it and it was tinted green to "improve redness". I put it on before bed. Yeah, there's no sun at night, but it otherwise sounded like a good moisturizer so I put it on my face quickly and it absorbed and you couldn't see a thing. Or was it in the morning? I can't remember.

I had no idea that it was NOT and had NOT absorbed into my eyebrows or that it would become visibly bright kelly green when it dried.

I just raced with putting on my make up and had no clue. I went to half a dozen places not even knowing and then arrived at a temporary employment agency this way and asked to use the restroom. Everyone was really looking at me and sort of smiling and I thought, "What is wrong..." and I thought it was my hair.

I went to the restroom and my face and hair were fine, but my eyebrows were bright shocking green.

I did a double take and looked again and I was so shocked and confused by how my eyebrows could be green, I thought at first that some kind of concealer must have gone bad. Then I thought someone had drawn these green lines onto my eyebrows while I was sleeping and I started to get upset thinking "I can't believe I am that sound of a sleeper!" and then all of a sudden it dawned on me: the new moisturizer.

It had absorbed into my skin but not into my eyebrow hair. So I rubbed it out and it was gone.

A few people after this, pulled a few Anne of Green Gables comments but I didn't say anything 'til now.

And yes, it was obvious. It was not a subdued green shade. It was shocking kelly green. Sort of, almost, flourescent.

No comments: