Wednesday, February 24, 2010

State Puts "Parrot" In Room

I was sitting at the state office, waiting for something, and as I sat here, some couple started talking about a parrot, repeating the same thing over and over. Then they were talking about Guadalahara.

This reminded me, that when I went into the visit room today, someone had put out a stick with a parrot on it, on the table.

And my son, who someone has had access to, uncharacteristically was repeating things over and over without using full sentences. Like "a parrot".

I went back to the room, to grab that parrot stick, to keep, and when I went in, and they allowed me in, someone had already intentionally removed it inbetween visits.

I am not exaggerating about my son either. My son kept saying the same things, over and over and over, like he'd been totally brainwashed. He kept saying something about cake, the same phrase, repeatedly. And then I just realized, I had noticed that parrot stick out on the table and knew it was new, but I didn't know what it was there for.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This statements bears repeating....
"your complete lack of knowledge of young children is making you look really idiotic." 3 year olds will repeat over and over all kinds of things they have heard from various places, various people. It does not always make sense and it drives you nuts. And then you have to think about what they might hear you say and wonder how many times they have repeated it over and over to someone else and you soon watch what you say in front of that child. 3 year olds do not always talk in complete sentences, they will repeat to you what you say when you they know what you said, they will create fictional characters that sound like someone's name they've heard, they will imagine things that aren't there. They can be like little "parrots" and repeat things over and over and the next time they'll be "grown up" and you won't believe how much they've changed and then the next time they'll be little monsters. They continuously change at this age but you never know what they will "change" to.
They will look really good one day, be energetic and if they have a bad night sleep they look tired, like they don't feel good, have circles under their eyes. They get some sleep, and they look wonderful. When you see them you can tell if they've had a good night of sleep or not so good, not that anything is happening to them, it just wasn't a good night of sleep, or enough sleep.
They'll tell you they love you one minute and a few minutes later they tell you they don't like you. You haven't done anything or said anything during that time but that's just a phase with that age.
You never know what to expect, you "roll with the punches."

Mama said...

Hello, thanks for writing.

I think it bears repeating that I have more childcare experience and education on child development, than most of the workers over there, claiming to be child professionals. Most of my life has been spent hands on with children. I know what normal behavior is, and have seen a broad range of variations. I also know my own son, and know what is or is not normal for him.

I understand you're trying to be helpful, but I know what I'm talking about.

Yeah, if my son forgot what an armadillo was, no big deal. But when he looks at an orange like he's never seen one in his life and says "what's THAT?" there is something wrong. He has done this with simple objects and things he learned a long time ago and it's not normal for him. He has also never had a problem getting stuck on saying the same phrase at least 15 times like he has a stutter when he has no stutter.

I have watched my son and listen to him and I know when he is being brainwashed or something is affecting his mental or other health.

Thank you for being polite though, at least, and taking time to care and try to explain what you feel the issues might be. I hope your children are well and wish you well.

Cam