Saturday, November 5, 2011

Star Italian Red Wine Vinegar (my childhood)

I was splashing this vinegar onto my bruschetta sandwich and looking at the bottle. I got this brand because it's the one we had when I was a kid. This is what my mother made her spaghetti sauce with and this was the red wine vinegar that I demanded to drink.

It was in Moses Lake, Washington, in the 80s and I still remember the exact occasion. I kept saying I wanted to taste it and they said I wouldn't like it and I thought it was going to be wine or something. I have no idea what I was thinking, because my parents didn't even drink wine or alcoholic beverages.

It's in a chianti shaped bottle so maybe I thought it looked interesting and I asked to try it and they said okay! and I took a big gulp out of a glass and then ran to the sink and spit it out all over.

I must have been between age 8-11 but probably on the younger end--I'd have to ask my parents. I never forgot which one it was, because it was the shape of the bottle and the color that caught my attention. I had thought it was wine but I don't know how and I didn't believe them until I'd tried it.

Both my mom and dad were standing right there in the kitchen and started laughing.

I was just noticing it again and thinking, "It does look like wine. It looks like a bottle of chianti in the bulb shape with the narrow neck."

But I still don't know how I got the idea that it was wine. I think because I read "Red Wine vinegar" and didn't believe the vinegar part.

I just recently got the exact same kind and it's in the same bottle and everything, that I remember from when I was a kid.

No comments: