Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Cauda Equina & My Pelvic Fractures

Hmm. I was curious to find out about the sclerosis of my sacrum so I looked up sacrum and found injuries or fractures to a part of it can cause temporary urinary retention. It's considered a break of the spine, in a way, and it causes problems with elimination by the bladder, it won't allow the message to get to the brain. It's a fracture to the cauda equina typically.

Hmmmm...

That would be significant in a medical malpractice suit, wouldn't it? A fractured pelvis, leads to inability to urinate (which I still have problems with emptying my entire bladder, as seen on later MRI). A fractured pelvis, broken tailbone, and, I forgot to mention, one of my lower spine vertebraes showed up broken as well, from a diagnostic at another angle.

Imagine what the damages to Wenatchee could have been. They refused to listen to me, they refused to listen to former OBGYNs who said I could not deliver naturally because of a narrow pelvis. And my injuries would prove my son also suffered, from injuries far worse than what they've claimed.

But of course, Wenatchee has NOTHING to hide.

The X-rays and diagnostics and radiology reports, prove this. It's just the doctor's chart notes, which they can write up anyway they like, and hope no one looks more closely at the actual documented evidence, that make everything sound "normal".

So, I have prolapses, but perhaps that's just secondary to the evidence I have of fractures and broken bones. Because why would prolapse, simple prolapse, not send the message to the brain? A fracture of the cauda equina makes perfect sense because it directly involves neurological symptoms and you can see my fractures on X-ray.

Eureka.

Motive abounds.

If I didn't want to just leave the country after no one listened to me for so long, I would say I would become a lawyer and make some medical assholes wish they'd never seen the light of day. I am, once again, my own frickin' best advocate. And maybe even my own best researcher and diagnoser. See below, what I just found (read under ZONE III). I found it at this website: http://www.wheelessonline.com/ortho/sacrum_and_sacral_fractures. Then, I googled "cauda equina", or just hit the link to cauda equina, which is from the same site and I list this below. It speaks to the urinary retention findings and symptoms when this is injured. It's called cauda equina syndrome... Hmm. This is all starting to make sense to ME, I don't know about YOU:

Sacrum and Sacral Fractures


- See:
- Posterior Pelvic Injury:
- Sacroiliac Fracture Dislocations:
- Sacral Stress Fractures:

- Anatomy of Sacrum:

- Classification:
- zone I:
- frx across sacral ala can cause L5 nerve root impingement;
- about 6% of these patients will have neurological injuries;
- zone II:
- frx thru neuroforamina can cause unilateral sacral anesthesia;
- frx involving the neural foramina require operative debridement of frx fragments prior to reduction and fixation (thru posterior approch);
- zone III
- frx thru body of sacrum can cause highest incidence of injury to cauda equina and result in neurogenic bladder;
- about 56% of these patients will show neurological injuries;
- misc:
- transverse fractures;
- U shaped fractures:
- results from axial loading;
- radiographs:
- bilateral transforaminal sacral fractures and irregularities, L5 transverse process frx;
- paradoxic inlet view: on standard AP view, the upper sacrum appears as inlet view;
- ref: Percutaneous stabilization of U shaped sacral fracture using iliosacral screws: technique and early results.
SE Nork et al. JOT. Vol 15. No 4. p 238.

- Associated Injuries:
- if the sacral fracture is impacted w/ no verticle displacement, it may represent a LC fracture (therefore look for anterior pelvic injury);
- w/ vertical displacement, the sacral frx may represent a Malgaine frx equivolent;
****************************************

Cauda Equina Syndrome


- Anatomy:
- subarachnoid space is prolonged in a duralarachnoid sheath around
each dorsal and ventral root, roughly to level of union of roots;
- because the cord is shorter than vertebral column, nerves slope
inferiorly from their levels of origin to appropriate intervertebral
foramina, and the angle becomes more acute from above downward;
- below inferior end of cord, dural-arachnoid sac contains leash of nerve
roots and the filum terminale;
- this complex constitutes the cauda equina;

- Cauda Equina Syndrome:
- urinary retention is the most consistent finding;
- see urologic management of the spinal cord injured patient:
- in spinal cord injuries, the caudal equina may sustain considerable initial trauma & stop
functioning, but there may be a good prognosis for partial cauda injuries;
- in any potential cauda equina syndrome it is important to examine for saddle anesthesia,
rectal tone, bulbocaverosus reflex, and sacral sparing;

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As far as I know, cauda equina is not a bone which can be fractured. It represents a nerve bunch, which can be damaged by compression of some sort, etc.

Mama said...

Thank you so much for your comment. I think this is what I have. It says fractures of a particular part of the sacrum may result in cauda equina so that's perhaps where I may have mixed the two. It's still the result of a fracture, or, if it's nerve compression, I believe that's it.

I had a later CT or MRI which showed not only a lower lumber vertebrae was also broken and out of alignment, but that my bladder was still retaining urine after I went to the bathroom and had thought it was empty. They kept having to ask me to go again, and noted the bladder would not empty fully. This was one year after delivery.

I know I have this syndrome. It's the only one which makes sense, and it still applies, to this day. I did have full pelvic fractures as well and I'm sure this resulted in nerve compression.

I'd like to see a doctor who specializes in this.