Monday, October 20, 2008

TTSOML #141: My Son's Second Ultrasound

Before going back to the last post about the delivery, I thought I would mention something about my son's ultrasounds. He had two. One at 18 weeks and I think the second one was at 24 weeks or more. In the second one, is the one where the woman said my son's brain was very well-developed.

However, it showed up something that can be an abnormality. Choroid cysts. If there is just one, it's no big deal. But my son had bilateral choroid cysts, which showed up on ultrasound.

It was interesting, to hear Wenatchee CPS's Michelle Erickson scoff at this, as if I'd gone into an appointement with concerns about nothing that really mattered. It will be great, once I have a copy of the audio for that fact-finding, because I would really like to make it available to the public.

Anyway, this post is partly for Ms. Erickson's benefit.

Bilateral choroid cysts are not common, and they CAN enlarge over time, if they don't dissolve, and can affect the brain. They are cysts. Which is why they're called choroid cysts. And it's nothing to scoff at if they become a problem later on and are not detected.

My son has had zero follow-up, since this ultrasound, regarding these cysts. If he didn't have speech problems, I wouldn't be concerned. But several things were going on with my son, and one of those things could have been the reason he is still having difficulties. He has been denied exams by Wenatchee medical professionals, to date.

The fun and interesting part, is that my son is seen sucking his left thumb in one of the shots. It's adorable. And this is the only thumb he has ever wanted to suck. He has been sucking his left thumb from the womb. So there is a chance he'll be left-handed.

No comments: