Monday, October 13, 2008

TTSOML #118: Secret Tips From Lawyers & Problems In Wenatchee

This isn't about the legal problems I began having in Wenatchee, with Wenatchee people, but is a continuation of the lawsuits I had in Oregon. I also will add some information about things that happened in Portland, and about some people who gave me information, to try to help me surrepitously (msp?).

I already wrote about a lawyer giving me some books to help me with my legal stuff. He gave me the statutes and rules of procedure for the state of Oregon and said, "This is the Bible." He gave me a weapon, which was huge in keeping me afloat so long. I had other lawyers who showed me where and how to file things. Some showed me how to research in the stacks at the law library and how to shepardize. I actually got a lot of "directions" but my strategies and what I wrote in my motions, that was all my own. I didn't get advice or guidance on this at all, except from that one young lawyer who tried to screw me up on my legal theories (which I didn't fall for).

Then, as I was sick and losing the defamation lawsuit in Multnomah County, and Judge Wilson was harassing me all the time, a law student gave me their password to the full Lexis-Nexus. I didn't tell anyone, not even Christa, who gave it to me. It is probably safe to say, now, as he's gone, who did this for me. It was Adam Segovia. His password was "Harper". With this, I was able to look things up faster at home without going to the law library and I could cross-reference more quickly. But he would have been in trouble for doing this for me, so until this day, I've never told anyone (I don't think) who gave me the information.

Because I had this, I was able to directly refute one of Judge Wilson's decisions, and she made this hasty cover-up response (which is filed, hahahaaha, on the record, at Multnomah County Courthouse, and it's hilarious). That woman was just a hater. For example, she would try to pull sneaky things too, thinking I was too stupid to notice. She would tell me something from my motion, a legal case, was wrong, and I told her I thought it was "common knowledge" and didn't need to add the citation. Other lawyers knew about it. So, off of the record, she told me, to probably cover her own ass, that I had 10 minutes to look it up in the law library upstairs and bring it back to her. If you knew which floor I was on, you would know there was no way I was getting to the law library and back in 10 minutes, with time to spare to find the citation. But I ran anyway. It wasn't possible. So I go back and then she says she'll give me 10 more minutes. So another 10 minutes to run up there, and have zero time to find anything, and run back. THEN, she goes ON the record to say she's given me "20 minutes" to look up the citation and I didn't do it. I said, in retort, on the record, that she BROKE UP the 20 minutes into 2 separate 10 minute segments where I had to run around the building. It wasn't an uninterrupted 20 minutes. I knew what she was trying to do, and she just stared at me. Like she was shocked I was half as smart as she was. It was logistically impossible to find something in the time periods she gave me and she knew it, but she wanted to make it look like she'd tried to be fair, on something that was common knowledge or should have been, from the start. Even Kaempf stared at me. He knew, too.

I went home, looked up that citation on Lexis-Nexus after the Judge ruled AGAINST me, on the very point I was RIGHT about, and I filed the case that proved I was right, in the public record. Hahaha. I still get a kick thinking about that, and her hasty response. She tried to blame JOHN KAEMPF for not alerting her to her mistake. hahahaa! The best part, was that after all the nasty stuff Wilson pulled, at the very end, she dismissed my case, refusing to give me medical abatement when I had reason to receive it (probably toxic black mold sickness or who knows what else) and then she was off the record. For whatever reason, I felt sorry for her, and said I wanted to say something, off of the record. She looked at me with a suspicious eye, and nodded to her clerks to turn all the recording stuff on. She said, "I think we'll want to get THIS on the record!" or something like that. I said what I'd been planning to say, something like, "Your Honor, I just think it's inappropriate you didn't recuse yourself when you know I named you in a complaint." She startled back. It wasn't the big cuss-out she thought she was going to document on tape.

So, thanks to Segovia, Lexis-Nexus came in handy. Even though it was too late by the time I got it.

The other thing a different lawyer did for me was give me the access code to listen in to the teleconference for the Archdiocese Bankruptcy case. I covered him, when I was asked how I got access, and lied, making it sound like I was a computer hacker and had gotten the information on my own. I never revealed my source, and will still not do it, to this day.

The Abbey lawyers knew I wasn't stupid. At the beginning of the Archdiocese hearings, there was the one where I asked the appropriate form of question about the Holy See, and then there was another hearing, in the federal bankruptcy building. The financial people for the Abbey were giving testimony and claiming the Archdiocese assets were separate from the parishes. It went on and on for hours and yet I was able to find the contradiction in his statements. The guy said they didn't have anything to do with parishes, and then hours later, when listing accounts, mentioned one they held for parishes. I questioned him on this when the lawyers were allowed to cross-examine, and he fumbled for words. A reporter for The Oregonian, a really nice guy, wanted to interview me afterwards and I declined. He went right for ME! Made a beeline for me in that meeting, because I caught them on something, but I kept my mouth shut because I'd already been defamed by the Willamette Week and also because I thought the other plaintiffs attorneys would work with me and appreciate my silence. I thought we'd work in a group and I wasn't trying to steal the limelight. So I turned the reporter down, but took his card. The guy was a good guy. I think I could trust him, but I didn't open my mouth about things.

At any rate, the Abbey knew I would make note of things other lawyers might not catch. I was enthusiastic, a logical and quick thinker, and frankly, I was just young blood with open ears. Some of the lawyers there were tired and had come to the hearings after big lunches and just looked ready to fall asleep. Being a lawyer, most of the time, is BORING. After years of BORING, I get the impression one either drinks a little more, or just starts tuning out and daydreaming about playing golf after work. I don't think I was smarter than most of those guys, but I was just paying attention more sometimes, and I was a perfectionist when it came to research. I wanted to get it right. Also, probably playing into my diligence was the personal investment and importance it had with me. It meant something to me, not that it didn't with most of them, but I had been directly, personally affected, and I knew how they lied about me.

So, then I was in Washington state, and the lawyers hoped the distance would keep me from being able to drive to the courthouse and file motions when my electronic equipment failed. I couldn't even drive to Oregon, because my license was suspended by then. I think they realized, too, that I must not have a hidden slush fund somewhere, and that I was broke.

I was never able to keep up from Washington. My computer wasn't working, and I'd go to the library and do stuff but we were only allowed an hour a day. I needed time on the computer to look things up, and I needed a law library. There was no law library in Wenatchee. I looked into purchasing Lexis-Nexus for myself, but couldn't afford it. After my case was dropped from the Portland Archdiocese Bankruptcy, my computer started working fine again. No monitor problems. I had wanted to enter some of my information, but once my claim was dismissed, I didn't have a legal right to do so.

I was on the list to receive copies of things from the courthouse, but I couldn't keep up with it and it seemed pointless when I hadn't the means to respond.

Several things happened around this time, which led to a one-time suicide attempt, which I'll write about next.

No comments: