Saturday, October 25, 2008

TTSOML #145: Other Dr. Butler Observations

This sounds incredible, but I caught Dr. Butler once making a mean face at my son when he thought I wasn't looking, and my son began to cry. It sounds bizarre, and it was, because I thought, what does HE have against MY son? And then he seemed shocked that my son had a reaction. I just thought it was very peculiar. It was shortly after this, and a bunch of other things, that I quit Butler. Butler also was always wanting to minimize my son's acheivements and accomplishments. Other doctors noted his intelligence, but Butler was always trying to dumb him down.

I do not think my son liked Dr. Butler.

And then Dr. Butler was the one who did his circumcision, and he didn't do a very good job, at least not in the most painless way. Dr. Butler wanted me to be out of the room when he did it but that was over my dead body. This was within a week of his birth, so I didn't have further stuff against Butler yet, but I knew, as his mother, that no mother allows something like this to happen outside of her watchful eye. And I knew I could be there for my son and comfort him. I wasn't going to abandon my son as people stood over him with a knife and he lay all alone on a strange table.

HELL NO.

Butler was saying the stress would be too much for me and that it would be more painful for me than for my son. I refused and said I was going to be there. So I was there, with two other nurses, and the nurses kept complimenting later, saying I did so well and how remarkable it was that my son responded to my voice.

I debated over whether to do a circumcision or not. I didn't feel it was really necessary, but what convinced me, and tipped me over the 50-50 line, was reading research that said it was easier to clean and, especially, that it seemed less likely for STDs and other things to occur. So I went with that.

So my son was there, and it seemed to me that Dr. Butler was not being easy on him or doing a very good job. My son was screaming and crying and would only stop when I began to whisper in his ear and talk to him in a soothing tone. Then, Dr. Butler had the nerve to say, after my son screamed again, "THAT didn't even HURT!"

How the hell would Butler know if it hurt?

Other doctors looked at it later and I had a few say it looked like a painful one because of the way he did it. It didn't heal easily and was red forever, and you can tell it cut in deep. I had more than one doctor take a deep breath when they saw it. I'm not going to say it was a mangle job, but at least one doctor said Butler wasn't a pediatrician, and recommended taking my son somewhere else.

I felt very sorry for what my son went through. After more of Butler's antics, I instructed him, when I was quitting and then "kicked out", and I instructed the hospital, where I knew Butler still worked, that he was to have nothing to do with my son again.

I give credit to children and animals, for knowing, instinctively sometimes, who they can or should not trust. Then again, children need to be protected sometimes, when they are innocent and trusting, and cannot know what danger may be ahead.

No comments: