Thursday, March 11, 2010

Talked to my Grandmother (I'm Welsh?)

Well I just found out we are part Welsh, which I wondered but she's now confirmed. But she said, "Of course...Davis is a very common name and hard to trace--everyone and their dog is a Davis." She was referring to the Davis name which is her maiden name and her father was the welshman. I guess that's all he was. Welsh! How come I never knew this???

I had things all mixed up.

Suddenly, we're a lot more German than we knew, on her side at least. She's done a thorough job of research, going back all the way to...way past the 15th century in some cases.

I might have to double check with her though. Because I could have sworn it was her Dad who was Native American but she says Welsh and that his mother was part Cherokee and German.

That's on her father's side. Tons of military people. People who came over just to fight wars and be in the military. One case of a brother fighting for the north and the other blood brother fighting for the south. Lots of revolutionaries.

On the mother's side, the name Huber or Hoover. They lived in N. Germany near Switzerland. Some guy named Sebastian Hoover. Sebastian Hoover came to W. Virginia in 1723. Oh wait, maybe that was her Dad's side, have to check. Then her grandfather on her Dad's side was a "Brown".

On her mother's side, English and Jewish. If the Huber is mother's, then German too. The captain by the name Prince was on her mother's side, and she has a photo of him, 5 generations back. Then the Suttons, and I guess Mary Margaret Sutton was given a letter by the Crown, with a seal, to claim property: New Hall in Sutton, Coldfild. The line of Suttons is through John D. Sutton and there was some medeival manor or estate, with a moat, that Mary Margaret was to claim but she had a lot of children and couldn't travel so she asked her 1st cousin to go see what it was and claim it. She hardly heard from him again. He told her it was "Maggie, nothing, not barely enough to pay for my passage." (I guess she went by Maggie). But maybe he sold it out from under her, because it was a very nice estate which was converted into a hotel. My grandma said it had been illegal for a woman to hold property until King Henry had only sons and then when he wanted things to go to Elizabeth, he changed the law and this is why it was a woman in our family who was the owner of New Hall.

I looked up the owners on wiki and didn't see the woman, but did see some things about Sutton. They had the letter from the Crown with the seal until last generation, her uncle had it but someone in the household was an alcoholic (soemthing about someone being adopted) and it was destroyed or lost. But everyone had seen it until it was lost not that long ago.

No comments: