Thursday, September 13, 2007

Asphalt Plant Update V

It's 10:30 p.m. and I had just laid down with my son when I smelled the faint odor of asphalt. I went outside to look. As I did, a car on the driveway opposite my house drove away with lights on. Basin Asphalt was shut down entirely--there were not even lights. Smoke was coming from a plant next to it. I went around to the back to see if the fumes were coming from across the river but they were not. They grew stronger when I was closer to the Basin Asphalt side. The only other construction company I've seen listed on the billboard for that little industrial island is Central Washington. I didn't think they had an asphalt plant there next to Basin. I'll have to find out.

The main thing I care about, is that things are in compliance and the fumes reaching us are not harmful. If Central Washington has a plant right next to Basin, they could have been running the same time at night. I still know I saw Basin running at night, but if Central Washington was at the same time, some of those huge pillars of smoke could have been from them as well. Right now the smoke coming from whatever plant is next to Basin is diffuse.

I'm adding a pesticide poisoning hotline in my next post, to reference the post I made about poisoning from Columbia Fruit but I'll copy it here as well: http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/about/info.htm#hotlines.
Halfway down this page there is a hotline for emergencies only and also a hotline that gives out specific information about various pesticides, from the National Pesticide Information Center (NPIC).

No comments: