Sunday, September 30, 2007

NFTN 16: Science Experiment Backfires

I mentioned doing science experiments with the kids, but I must go back and describe the one that backfired, back at the Shore: "The Impromtu Dissection."

When I was in high school, I was permitted to skip the dissection portion of biology. I had to do tapeworms, but I was able to opt out of dissecting frogs. I believe my parents advocated on my behalf, as they did when I requested to skip Sex Ed (for religious reasons).

But I did not want my personal feelings about dissection to interfere with a child's curiosity and learning experience. One day, out on the deck, Philip was catching little minnows. They were the half the size of my thumb. He would take them out of the water, and let them lay on the deck, panting for air. He did this over and over. I felt sorry for the fish, but thought, who knows, maybe this kid is a future scientist or doctor. So I tried to be encouraging. I crouched next to him and we examined the fish together. He asked a lot of questions, some which I couldn't answer. He said he wondered what it looked like on the inside. Uh oh...dissection came to my mind. I didn't know if I should cut open the fish, but thought if he was able to stand seeing them gasp for air, he could handle it.

So, trying not to grimace, I took a knife out. I told him what I could do, and asked him if he wanted me to first. He nodded eagerly. So, explaining as I went, I cut off the head of the fish. "We don't want it to suffer" I told him. Then, I sliced through the middle from the head end to the tail. Opening it up, I was just about to ask him what he thought, when he bolted upright and RUNS off the deck, yelling, "Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!!!" Brian was nearby outside but hadn't been paying attention. Philip was totally agitated and said, "Daddy! She cut the fish! Cameo cut the fish up!" I don't think Philip was crying, but he was upset. Brian came over to me. Here I am, with a little steak knife in my hand. Brian looked at the fish that had been "dissected" and then he looked at me, with a terrible, "What did you do to my SON?!" look. I don't remember him saying anything. There was this glare as if I were some kind of sicko exposing the innocent to a spree-killing and he left. Philip looked at me with a strange satisfaction, as if pleased.

I remember thinking, "I don't even believe this..." but that thought crossed my mind quite often during those months.

No comments: