Friday, September 7, 2007

NFTN #9: Food

One of the best things about being a nanny, besides the kids, was sampling foods from different cultures and parts of the country. I especially liked:

Lisa Thebault's steak salad, and the fresh clam buffet;

The bagels of Livingston, NJ. I was introduced to them by a Reform Jewish family I worked for in Livingston. I told Rabbi Rose (in Oregon) about them once and he was in denial, claiming there were pretty good bagels in Portland. The Rabbi had not, obviously, had a bagel from the Jewish deli in Livingston. They were boiled the old-fashioned way and had a lightly crisp shell with a dougy interior. Shiny brown surface and delicious when toasted! I craved those bagels for years after I left Livingston;

The DelBalzo's asian salad with mandarin oranges, dried cranberries, and special glaze. The DelBalzo's were Italian-Catholic but this Asian salad was their best fare. Oh, and the handmade pasta that Mary made. I didn't like the Italian sweets so much;

Fresh hallah bread from the Rose family and chinese/vietnamese leftovers.

No comments: