Saturday, September 15, 2007

Bear: New Books

Hello Little Bear,

I forgot to mention we got a new book by Ana Juan, "Elena's Seranade". The art as well as text is by Ms. Juan and while you were not interested in the book, I WAS. I really enjoy her artwork. In this book it's definitely of the magical realism genre. Another book I like for the artwork itself is by Ezra Jack Keats and it's called "The Snowy Day". The artwork here is sparse, modern, and yet still colorful. I'm not a "beige" person. I take that back. When you live with a small income, I advocate choosing one or two main colors and buying select peices in the best materials affordable and then accenting the staples. For a long time I did this with the color cream. But I've always liked color on the walls, and I like color, and both these artists use color well. I think the reason I like Degas is color. I'm not a fan of his style but like especially the chalkwork and color juxpositions.

You are beginning to appreciate Dr. Suess. You enjoy the Foot Book, and you like another book called "Mockingbird" by another acclaimed artist which I don't care for, but I can see how it appeals to children.

No comments: