Sunday, September 23, 2007

Wenatchee: Discrimination Against Disabilities

Kind of funny, this town. Right about the time I asserted discrimination and violation of Americans with Disabilities at a courthouse, which had to do with treatment and prejudice mainly, I noticed sudden attempts to "fix" things at the courthouse such as the fact that some doors did not have handicapped access, etc. I've been here 2 years and there was never sufficient access. I didn't require it myself, but I noticed that all of a sudden this courthouse is scrambling to get things up to code.

I wonder why.

Will have to address this issue later, however, I can attest, in the last couple of days I've called a couple of places asserting disabilities--called government places, and realized, as I'd had NO idea before, how completely strong the discrimination is towards those with disabilities. It is as if those claiming disability have a choice and are resented for not being what may be perceived as "Non-productive" or a hassle. When I have politely tried out the "disability" request for accomodation, in a couple of ways, and to different places, the response is always negative. The requests are either denied, pushed aside, and/or someone gets angry and resentful. http://www.usdoj.gov/osg/briefs/2003/3mer/2mer/2002-1667.mer.aa.html.

Look at THIS document (link posted above).

No comments: