Friday, November 28, 2008

TTSOML #239: Trying To Fire Public Defender

I added to the post about Cassel, which I'll sort of summarize. I tried to fire him, prior to the next hearing, when I realized this guy wasn't on my side at all. I had not even been aware of a Change of Venue hearing, so I missed it, and didn't even know what was being said. I didn't trust him, and had good enough reason not to. He hadn't keep in touch, hadn't consulted me about motions he was making, and then didn't even let me know about a court date. My case was becoming prejudiced and was getting into bad shape so I had to cut him loose. I told him he was fired, but he refused to step down.

Judge Hotchkiss also seemed to enjoy propping up his former law partner. Hotchkiss refused to allow me to fire prior to the hearing, but as soon as I lost the hearing, on account of Cassel's inadequate representation, Hotchkiss announced that NOW Cassel was "released".

They BOTH wanted to screw me over.

After Cassel was out, I was appointed with a new lawyer, Jeanne Wellbaum.

No comments: