Sunday, February 7, 2010

Parenting On America's Funniest Home Videos

I turned this on and haven't seen it for a long time, but it is still so bizarre to know what a good mother I am, how my son and I are together and what kind of supervision I provide, and then see all these examples of misguided parenting and yet everyone thinks it's normal. Apparently, a parent can be as bad as they want to be, as long as they're married and are above the poverty line.

I saw one clip where the two boys were covered head to toe in paint, and then had paint all over the wall. At least acrylic paints, all over the bathroom. So the mother films it as funny, but it only made me wonder where the parents were when this was happening and why was there no supervision?

Then, I see this video, which was genuinely hilarious, but it was of a boy at least 7 years old and he was sitting on a toilet with his pants down. I mean, it was funny, but I write about things that have happened with my son to try to protect him and I was criticized for putting up some photos, but it's perfectly fine for a mother to film her son without his pants on and then allow the entire world to see it?

I mean, funny, but appropriate for the whole world? How is this boy going to feel when he's older and people can pull up a video of him crying on the toilet with his legs bare and exposed and he's crying about pooping.

But of course these two examples are just overlooked when it's actually something to be concerned about and then in contrast, I have political problems (obviously) with some, but I'm an excellent mother and would never allow either of the above instances.

I don't know if half of the people who deal with kids even know what good or bad parenting is...they just see a parent and their financial or other situation and don't actually look at the actual "parenting".

I just saw more. One of a parent filming their toddler sleeping on the edge of a couch and just observing as the toddler falls off. I would think a good parent would keep their toddler from falling off the couch when they're sound asleep, rather than film their kid as they fall.

No comments: