Tuesday, November 11, 2008

TTSOML #195: Criteria for Narcissism (DSMV)

In fact, it is possible Kaempf could have been guiding Blakeslee's assessment even (following last thought from last TTSOML). See last paragraph of last post for some possible evidence of this, which could be confirmed by court transcripts.

Because there was zero evidence of any "abnormal" mental state, not even "narcissism", according to the tests. I've included the criteria and characteristics of narcissism (with my comments in CAPS) below:

DSM Criteria
A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:[1]
(DOESN'T FIT: I DO NOT HAVE GRANDIOSE BEHAVIOR. IT TAKES ME 10 MINUTES TO GET READY AND I DON'T BELIEVE I LIVE A LAVISH LIFESTYLE, NOR HAVE I EVER CARED TO. I DON'T HAVE A NEED FOR ADMIRATION--IF I DID, I WOULDN'T WRITE THE THINGS I WRITE IN MY BLOG, WHICH OSTRACIZE ME FROM MANY PEOPLE. I HAVE ALWAYS HAD MORE THAN A FAIR SHARE OF EMPATHY FOR OTHERS AND DO NOT LACK EMPATHY).

has a grandiose sense of self-importance
(DOESN'T FIT: I BELIEVE I AM IMPORTANT, AND I KNOW I'VE BEEN UNDERESTIMATED, BUT I DO NOT THINK I'M MORE IMPORTANT, IN GOD'S EYES, THAN ANYONE ELSE. I SIMPLY CANNOT TOLERATE MORAL COWARDICE)

is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
(DOESN'T FIT: I'VE NEVER THOUGHT I HAD UNLIMITED SUCCESS, POWER, BRILLIANCE, BEAUTY OR LOVE. I'VE THOUGHT I'M SMARTER THAN SOME GIVE ME CREDIT FOR, WHICH HAS OFTEN BEEN TRUE, AND I'VE CAUGHT PEOPLE WHEN THEY DIDN'T EXPECT ME TO, AND MANAGED TO GET A LOT FARTHER IN LITIGATION, PRO SE, THAN ANYONE EXPECTED, BUT I'VE NEVER THOUGHT I HAVE NO LIMITS)

believes that he or she is "special" and unique
(ONLY TRUE IN THE SENSE THAT I BELIEVE I AM SPECIAL AND HAVE ALWAYS HAD A GOOD SELF-ESTEEM. I HAVE FELT SPECIAL IN GOD'S EYES, AND KNOW I HAVE SOME GOD-GIVEN TALENTS AND GIFTS. DOESN'T MAKE ME MORE "SPECIAL" THAN ANYONE ELSE).

requires excessive admiration
(DOESN'T FIT: IF I REQUIRED EXCESSIVE ADMIRATION, I'D HAVE BEEN IN MANY MORE LONG-TERM RELATIONSHIPS AND I WOULD NEVER WRITE THE THINGS I WRITE IN MY BLOG)

has a sense of entitlement
(DOESN'T FIT: I'VE NEVER THOUGHT I WAS PART OF THE "ENTITLED" CLASS)

is interpersonally exploitative
(DOESN'T FIT: I AM A GIVER IN MY FRIENDSHIPS AND DO NOT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THEM)

lacks empathy
(DOESN'T FIT: PROBABLY ONE OF THE BIGGEST "DOESN'T FITS". I HAVE FAR MORE EMPATHY THAN SOME, AND MORE THAN I EVER STARTED OUT WITH, BECAUSE OF THE THINGS I'VE BEEN THROUGH PERSONALLY. WHEN YOU GO THROUGH HARD TIMES, IF YOU HAVE A SOFTER NATURE, YOU BEGIN TO IDENTIFY WITH OTHERS WHO HAVE ALSO BEEN THROUGH TOUGH THINGS)

is often envious of others or believes others are envious of him or her
(DOESN'T FIT AND SORT OF FITS: I AM RARELY ENVIOUS OF OTHERS, BUT I DO KNOW OTHERS HAVE BEEN ENVIOUS OF ME. I'VE SEEN JEALOUSLY FIRSTHAND, BUT IT'S NOT MAGNIFIED TO WHERE I BELIEVE EVERYONE IS JEALOUS OF ME. MOST PEOPLE WOULD NOT WANT TO BE ME OR GO THROUGH WHAT I GO THROUGH, SO I HARDLY THINK THEY ARE JEALOUS. I HAVE HAD WOMEN JEALOUS OF ME BECAUSE OF THE WAY I LOOK OR SING, OR ATTENTION I GET. I'VE HAD MEN JEALOUS OF ME FOR KNOWING MORE THAN THEY DO ON A TOPIC OR WRITING A BETTER LEGAL MOTION. THAT DOESN'T EXTEND TO "ALL HUMANITY IS JEALOUS OF WONDERFUL ME")

shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes
(OH YES THIS FITS. IT FITS BECAUSE WHEN I SEE SOME OF THE CRAPPY ATTITUDES I'VE SEEN, AND HAVE TO DEAL WITH LITERAL IMBECILES AND IDIOTS, WHO ARE LESS INTELLIGENT BUT WHO HAVE, FOR SOME REASON, POWERS OF AUTHORITY AND SHOULDN'T, I FEEL SOMETIMES ARROGANT AND HAUGHTY. I DO LOOK DOWN ON CERTAIN BEHAVIORS, BUT THE DIFFERENCE IS THAT I LOOK DOWN ON THOSE WHO ABUSE THEIR POWERS AND DON'T HAVE BRAINS TO BACK IT UP. I AM KIND AND VERY OPEN-MINDED TO OTHERS WHOM THE REST OF SOCIETY EXHIBITS HAUGHTY OR ARROGANT ATTITUDES TOWARDS, SUCH AS THE POOR, HOMELESS, AND SICK OR DISABLED.)

[edit] ICD-10 Criteria
While the ICD-10 does not specifically define the characteristics of this personality disorder, it is classified in the category "Other Specific Personality Disorders".

ICD-10 states that Narcissistic Personality Disorder is "a personality disorder that fits none of the specific rubrics F60.0-F60.7". That is, this personality disorder does not meet the diagnostic criteria for any of the following:

F60.0 Paranoid Personality Disorder
F60.1 Schizoid Personality Disorder
F60.2 Dissocial Personality Disorder
F60.3 Emotionally Unstable (Borderline) Personality Disorder
F60.4 Histrionic Personality Disorder
F60.5 Anankastic (Obsessive-Compulsive) Personality Disorder
F60.6 Anxious (Avoidant) Personality Disorder
F60.7 Dependent Personality Disorder

[edit] Epidemiology
Lifetime prevalence is estimated at 1% in the general population and 2% to 16% in clinical populations. [3]


[edit] Hypothetical causes
The etiology of this disorder is unknown according to Groopman and Cooper. However, they list the following factors identified by various researchers as possible factors.[3]

An oversensitive temperament at birth
Overindulgence and overvaluation by parents
Valued by parents as a means to regulate their own self-esteem
Excessive admiration that is never balanced with realistic feedback
Unpredictable or unreliable caregiving from parents
Severe emotional abuse in childhood
Being praised for perceived exceptional looks or talents by adults
"Excessive praise for good behaviors or excessive criticism for poor behaviors in childhood"
Some narcissistic traits are common and a normal developmental phase. When these traits are compounded by a failure of the interpersonal environment and continue into adulthood they may intensify to the point where NPD is diagnosed.[citation needed] It has been suggested[who?] that NPD may be exacerbated by the onset of aging and the physical, mental, and occupational restrictions it imposes as can most personality traits.[4][dubious – discuss]

(ALL OF THESE IDEAS FOR HOW NARCISSISM STARTS DON'T FIT FOR ME. MY FAMILY NEVER PUT ME ON A PEDESTAL. THE FIRST TIME ANYONE TOLD ME I WAS PRETTY, AND I WAS SUPRISED, I WAS IN JUNIOR HIGH. I WAS ALWAYS TOLD BY MY TEACHERS THAT I WAS AN UNDERACHEIVER AND SHOULD BE GETTING STRAIGHT A'S BUT MY PARENTS NEVER BOASTED ABOUT THIS OR MADE ME THINK I WAS SUPERIOR IN INTELLIGENCE. I NEVER THOUGHT MAYBE I WAS GIFTED UNTIL A TEACHER SAID THIS, BUT I DIDN'T FIND OUT UNTIL YEARS LATER, WHEN MY PARENTS TOLD ME. MY PARENTS TOLD ME I WAS "SPECIAL" AS IN, SPECIAL IN THEIR EYES AND TO GOD. I ALSO GREW UP WITH GREAT SELF-CONFIDENCE, BECAUSE I BELIEVED GOD HAD ME ON EARTH FOR A REASON, AND IT WAS TO DO GOOD, AND THAT IF I WAS AN HONEST PERSON AND TRIED TO DO THE RIGHT THING, IT WOULD BE PLEASING TO GOD. I GREW UP SECURE BECAUSE I WAS SECURE WITH MY OWN IDENTITY AND EVEN WITH BEING "DIFFERENT" WHICH WASN'T ALWAYS EASY. I WAS DIFFERENT EVEN FROM MY OWN FAMILY, BUT I WAS OKAY WITH IT. THEY DIDN'T LIKE FOREIGN FILMS, I DID--BIG DEAL. I HAD HIGH STANDARDS FOR MYSELF, AND I ALSO HELD HIGH STANDARDS FOR OTHERS, WHICH SOME HAVE NEVER CARED FOR. BECAUSE I SEE SO MANY PEOPLE LIMITING THEMSELVES AND WILLING TO CHEAT AND GROVEL FOR SPECIAL FAVORS, I SOMETIMES FEEL SUPERIOR. I BELIEVE ANYONE WHO IS ABLE TO STAND UP IN THE MIDDLE OF CORRUPTION AND DO THE RIGHT THING, SHOULD BE PROUD OF THEMSELVES. THIS IS NOT NARCISSISM. THIS IS HAVING A RIGHT AND HEALTHY ATTITUDE. IT IS BEING PROUD OF ONESELF FOR BEING STRONG, NOT ALL THE TIME, BUT FOR AT LEAST TRYING--IT IS CALLED HAVING INTEGRITY.)

I believe people SHOULD feel good behavior is superior to bad behavior. Rewarding and encouraging good, and looking down on evil, cowardice, or dishonor, is not narcissism. If someone is able to sleep well at night, because of good conscience, this is not narcissism. Realizing that one holds higher standards for oneself in legal matters, and in litigation, and feeling proud or self-confident because of the ability to go against the flow, is not narcissism. Being angry and haughty towards injustice and those who abuse powers, is not narcissism, although I'm sure those who are unjust and who enjoy abusing their powers of authority would like to argue otherwise. Being willing to stand up for others who are persecuted, ignored, or discriminated against, and feeling a sense of worth for taking this stand, is not narcissism. It is good, I believe, to have a healthy sense of "righteous anger" regading injustice and those who practice prejudice. Is it wrong for anyone to think it is "better" and that they are "better" than those who practice evil and who pervert the course of justice? I think not. I think, if I had not had a good self-esteem from the beginning, I wouldn't have been able to hold myself up amid all the corruption and cheating I've seen. I think I would have been more of a conformist, and less willing to stand against the tide. I would have gone along with the old adage: "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." I don't want to be like that. I know I am not perfect, and the other evidence that I am not narcissistic is the fact I've been willing to expose all of the skeletons in my closet, some which, I know, "devalue" me in the sight of others. I am not about appearances, I want to be the real thing, and for what is inside to be consistent with what I show to the outside. If anything, I probably hide my sweeter side more than the rebel side.

No comments: