Sunday, April 27, 2008

Presidential Clown Shoes

I'm off to a bad start this morning, with coffee and a Little Debbie snack cake for breakfast. Not eating in the shower either, which is an indicator that I have too much time on my hands.

I think I burnt a fuse yesterday and wrote myself out. Last night I couldn't drag myself to the computer and hoped that instead I would catch a funny film on television, as I had the night before, watching "Bridget Jones' Diary". Her drunken dance with the rolled up newspaper is probably my favorite part. I especially like the drumroll and kick.

Instead, I couldn't find anything better than CNN, which I fell asleep to, right after Larry King Live, which hosted Ms. Bush and her daughter. I felt a little bit sad for them, because it can't be easy. Mrs. Bush said she didn't like the way the Democratic candidates talked about the President, and I actually agreed with her point. Calling him a clown (what happened to the cowboy image?) not only denigrates the President, but our country in a way. I mean, I am 100% for free speech but it doesn't sound very professional to have Presidential candidates refer to the current sitting President as a "clown". I will vote Democratic most likely, and think I'm voting for Obama, but now all I can think about is how someone else is going to look in the clown shoes they want to fill. If "the clown" is leaving the house, and they want to fill his shoes, you know he's leaving the clown shoes behind.

I see McCain going in, picking up the shoes and asking his assistant to have them reinforced with track spikes. I see Hillary promptly throwing them in the trash and going through her bag to find her tennie runners, which would give her this great 1980s "corporate suit in skirt and runners" look, but finally yelling out to Bill that she can't find them and she's going to slip on his old pair for a minute while she runs out to get the mail. Then Obama, wearing black leather dress shoes into the house, not realizing the skid marks he's leaving behind, as he's thinking how flexible and comfortable his soles are. Obama would go to the shoe closet, expecting to find the former shoes waiting there, and then discover they're hiding out in the dishwasher, where the former President has decided to leave them, with a smile, tongue in cheek.

UPDATE: 4/27/08. Oops. That was democratic congressman Earl Pomeroy who called Bush a clown. I told you I was having an "off" morning. Well, who knows, maybe these candidates have been calling Bush a clown in private. Or publicly, in other words. God knows they've said a lot of other things, to which Ms. Bush took offense.

No comments: