Saturday, August 28, 2010

Battle Of The Bands

I stopped into another cafe, having forgotten about the "battle of the bands" today. the first one i heard was ghost power and they were actually very good, alternative/punk, mainly impressed with the full sound of just 2 people. i don't know that i heard anything original, lyrics or composition-wise, but the vocals were good and the instrumentals were also very good. it was one person on drums i guess and another with vocals and also playing guitar. i like the style in general. groundbreaking, newly charted territory? no, i don't think so. but very good for a local punk band. i just talked to their manager who said they divided up the speakers 6 ways so this is how they got the full sound. i think rhythm was pretty strong as well.

The next one was good, so far decent...I feel bad for not writing bc they were good but I was busy making my other posts.

Then there is one playing that started with the "amber is the color of your energy" song and the covers were good, but i wondered if they were going to do anything original and the original one they did was pretty good. I'm kind of surprised because with the sort of thrasher stuff, I don't always get something out of it, but there is some soul in the music. um, yeah. and this guitarist is good. it was called Audio Arcade. there are probably better guitarists even, well of course, but the heart was there in the music or someone playing at least, so they did good there. i didn't sense true originality here either but otherwise the feel was right.

I think my style is more for the punk. I would rather listen to that, but I try to listen for what it is, not just what genre I like best. another difference was that the other band, the punk one, had my foot going. this other one didn't so much. but i felt the emotion with the other one. i think, i might be wrong, and obviously i'm not doing a good music critique and not writing well at all, but i think the other band is somehow very strong on rhythm with both drums and guitar, and then this other one is more feel or something. i remember wondering why my foot wasn't moving with this other one, but i could sense the emotion...

i would have written about the other ones but i was thinking about my son and the weird things going on.

with the first one, my foot was moving and with the second one, i was about to close my eyes and pray...sort of meditative in a thrasher way. just different feels and strengths.

this last one i don't care for. i think they are good in some ways but the spirit that i like isn't there so much. it's also "thrasher" but the other guy had a beautiful voice.

I am just now having the computer overheating again. After not having any problems all this time.

However, that doesn't influence my opinion at all. The other thrasher had something from someone in that group, that felt like worship in a way, as if god had blessed the performance with his presence.

i don't feel that with this one.

No comments: