Sunday, July 8, 2012

Irridescent Bronze Beetle & 2 Fawns

I saw a pretty beetle in the garden this morning.  I woke up and looked around the garden this morning, because I don't know if any of the border lavendar came up or not.  There are so many weeds and I've never grown lavendar from seed before.  While I was looking, a small bronze beetle scurried past.  It was very pretty--irridescent and shimmering.  Sort of a black-bronze-copper color and slim and small.

Then I was on the porch and 2 fawns were going up the hill and decided to jump into my garden instead.  So I said to them, "You know you're not supposed to be in the garden" and then they came over to my porch rail and stopped, only 2-4 feet away (maybe 2 arms lengths from my face) and stared at me.  One time a buck approached when I laid in the grass on a blanket, curious.  But this time, the 2 fawns came right up to me after I talked to them as they stood in my garden.

I was standing on the porch the whole time, leaning over the railing.    Instead of running away when I talked to them, they walked right up to me.  Then I said to them, "What are you doing? looking for a handout?" and then they jumped off.  Bounded off, you know, bounce bounce.  They bounced over to the other side of the property and then I saw at least 3 other fawns deep in the thicket, and the 2 joined them and they all went into the thicket.

It's the closest that any deer have knowingly approached me.  In the past, I think the buck was inspecting and wondering what I was.  This time, they knew I was a human, and I stood there and said in a reprimanding tone, like talking to a disobedient child, "YOU know you're not supposed to be in the garden" and then they walked out of the garden and approached me.  They were literally 2 of my arm lengths away and both stopped right where I was after walking over to me, after they walked out of the garden, and stood and stared. 

Once I said the same thing to a strange cat that came onto the property.  I looked it in the eye and said, "You know you're not supposed to be on the property" and after it had stopped and heard me say this, it turned back and walked back the way it came.

No comments: