Thursday, July 19, 2012

Contraindicated CT of My Heart

The woman at the lab is correct.

They radiographed and exposed my heart to radiation.

She told me over the phone, that they're not supposed to do CTs of the heart, because it damages the heart.   I said, "How far down is it?" and she said she could see several ribs, it was past several ribs.

I just looked at it now and then got out a nursing book (anatomy) to check, and she is right.  I can see the xiphoid process (the bottom part of the sternum in the shape of an arrow) and part of the ribs to the side, and large cavities for lungs and it's where my heart is too.

They radiated my HEART.

I had said to her, "Is that a big deal?" and she'd said they're not supposed to do that and they can get sued over it.  I just figured it was maybe making fun of the idea of suing, that maybe she knew who I was and wanted to give me yet another reason to talk about suing, but they did definitely expose my heart.

I checked and one CT of the heart is supposed to be equivalent to about 1,000 X-rays of the heart.

No comments: