Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Email to CPS For Accomodating My Son's Disability

Additionally, I expect my son to be able to work with a speech therapist who can also sign, and that as long as he is out of my placement, his shelter provider be learning signing or willing to learn so he can speak at the house and practice. I also want him around other children who sign. Finally, if there is a CPS worker who knows how to sign, who would like to work with us during this time, that may also be helpful. I expect myself to learn signing and to be able to provide encouragement and opportunity for his growth in signing. I believe my son may want to have a say in some things. You cannot wait around and try to force your way of communication, or MY/OUR way of communication upon him. It is taking the easiest route, on the part of adults, to do this. My son needs people supporting him who are willing to make sacrifices to learn something new, for his best interests, and out of a desire to know him and talk with him, and because of their love and commitment. I took my commitment seriously when I decided to have my son, and keep my son, as a single mother. For better and for worse. I did not have any prenatal testing for disabilities prior to his birth, because I was willing to accept what God had in store, and because I loved this child before he was ever born. I sang to him, talked to him, and read to him, while he was still in my womb, and did this from the time I conceived. A fetus has ears to hear with by 18 weeks gestation. You need to be willing to accomodate to my son's needs, just as I am willing. If you are not willing, you have no right to interfere with those who are. I have consistently been the best advocate for my son, and have always been right about his needs and desires, and his health. I am and have always been, an excellent provider, and you need to let your agendas down, and your pride, enough to admit this is true. If you persist in being right, you will allow "the State" and the interests of adults, to trump the best interests of the child. I ask you to examine your motives very carefully. You may not have assumed the burden of providing for, and caring for a child who needs to sign, but I did and have. I can accept this, and came to accept it before I left for Canada. He was going to be enrolled to sign there, along with me. You cannot force my son to do it "your way". You need to accomodate to him and what he is able to do NOW. Right now, you're keeping tools from him, maybe hoping beyond reason, or mistakenly thinking it will be easier and he will eventually "catch up". Please do not do me and my son any further harm with your assumptions. I have lived with my son and know his needs. Cameo

No comments: