Saturday, March 29, 2008

The True Story of My Life #15 (Asst. To The Rabbi's Wife)

In addition to volunteer work, I initially worked for in a Jewish household, for the Rabbi Rose's wife, Lorraine Rose.

After I quit my job at CTR I accepted a position as a personal assistant and housekeeper. It was offered to me through a woman I knew from New Song church, Penny. She told me she'd "had enough!" of working for the Rose's and needed to get back to her own life. She asked if I would pick up the slack and work in her place, telling me she mainly saw the job as an opportunity to be a servant for Christ. It wasn't the greatest job, but she prayed for them, and worked hard to be an example of a good christian.

I thought it was exactly what I was looking for. I was doing a lot of volunteer work anyway, and I prayed all the time for people, sometimes for hours at a time. I told my family, "Well, I can't say I'm exactly climbing the ladder; I'm going from nanny work to housekeeping...I think that might be a step down!" I joked on was going the opposite direction, but felt my service taught me patience and was of great worth in the eyes of God. It taught me lessons in humility. I also felt my job was to be submissive to others. In trying to be a better christian, I also allowed myself to become a doormat, but I thought it was okay (all for Jesus!) and that it helped me to understand not only what Jesus went through, but other underappreciated people in America, and the world, as well.

Penny told me the job paid $13/hr. working a regular shift (daily housekeeping) and then other help on-call, such as helping out at parties hosted by the Rose's, and running errands (drycleaning, shopping, organizing things). Penny said the Rose's expected her to do her own taxes as self-employed.

She warned me about Lorraine. She absolutely adored the family, but told me Lorraine was very demanding at times, and she just had to play along. She told me one needed to establish boundaries with Lorraine, however, because otherwise Lorraine would see how far she could go. Penny said Lorraine was quite the character. I couldn't wait!

I met Lorraine at her house.

No comments: