Thursday, March 13, 2008

Pass Me The Pallella!

I took the bus to Wenatchee talking about Mexican food with a Mexican family, and came back, discussing Spanish cuisine with a Spanish/Mexican chef.

I'm still hungry!

The Mexican family didn't speak English so I worked my Spanish. Once we got past the formalities of introduccion, we moved on, fast-paced, to la comida. It started with a bag of chiccarones con chile y limon. They were really good and I asked where they got that brand. Que groceria? Everywhere, they said. Piqued with curiosity, that I had approved of the chips (piccante perfection), they asked me if I also liked oysters. There was another Mexican man there, not part of the family, who acted as the sometime traslator when I didn't understand el vocabulario. As for oysters, "Si!" I said, "En la barbacoa! barbaqoa??? BBQ?" We talked about flour tortillas, and shrimp on the grill, and Oysters and cervesa, papino con sale, chile, y limon, and chips, carne asada, sopa del camarones...all the way to Wenatchee. And they had the most beautiful baby girl with them who was just 13 months, who cooed and smiled. This girl is going to be a major knockout when she's older. Italia. They named her Italia! "Ella es muy bonita" I said and explained that one could tell she was a girl even without the pink clothing. I tried to remember what I hear Spanish women saying to other babies... and repeated it. "Que paso? Que paso bebe?!"

On the way BACK from Wenatchee, I ended up sitting next to another baby, who was 2 months old, and my seat partner was a Spanish/Mexican man. I first noticed the gold ring on his finger. It was a horsehoe with a horsehead coming through it. I think it's a good luck ring. He first showed me photos of his family and he said they lived in Cancun with their mother. "They must go to a private school?" I asked and he said yes. I guessed because they wore the same kind of polo shirt. He worked for Williams-Sonoma all over the place, and as a chef giving private lessons. He had worked mainly, in the past, as a chef and in the food industry, driving trucks with Mexican produce to the states. Until I talked to him, I had no idea that Mexico exports sesame seeds (they grow their own!) along with broccoli (frozen), peppers, orange juice, and other things. He said Mexican sesame seeds are oily and Asian seeds are dry. He said it's better if they're oily when you squeeze or press one down. He said he had a couple of family businesses in Mexico and that his girlfriend helps him run them. He wants to go to Canada and bring her with him because it's easier for someone from Mexico to get in, as they only need a passport rather than a passport AND a visa.

He was a citizen of 3 countries. Born in Spain and lived in Spain but also Mexican. Then he became a U.S. citizen too, and he had to renounce Spain to be an American, but although he did, Spain doesn't recognize it. His specialty was higher end Spanish cuisine. He said it can be found in Seattle. He said higher end Mexican can be found in Mexico City. He spoke about pallella and how to cook it. It takes at least 5 hours to do it right, and he especially loves a black pallella recipe he makes. He also talked about the grilled bread rubbed with garlic, then rubbed with tomatoe until the seeds are on the bread, and drizzled with olive oil and an herb. He also talked about oysters, and how to cook them, and what to add to a good pallella, and he spoke highly of a special Spanish ham, which is similiar to the Italian proscuitto, but, he said, "It's better." He wraps shrimp in this ham and he said the salt and flavor from the ham is a perfect blend. He also talked about wrapping shrimp or steak (don't remember which) with bacon, frying it, and THEN putting it on the grill for a crisp texture. He also talked about breaking up mata or corn tortillas and drenching them in a green salsa and then cooking it. We discussed the kind of herbs one can buy in the states, and what kind of Spanish goods are available.

He also told me about his OCD daughter, which was quite fascinating. He brought up the Jack Nicholson movie, and I couldn't remember the title. He tried to say it in English: Better Impossible. I thought maybe I could figure it out if he gave me the title in Spanish and asked him what it is. He said, "Mejor Impossible." Then it clicked. "Oh! As Good As It Gets!" (I admit I was/am impressed with myself for thinking out the approximation after hearing it in Spanish).

Interesting trip.

I came back, entirely cured of my attraction for the "druggie". I don't know if it was all the talk about food?

I'm done with apples...

Pass me the pallella!

No comments: