Friday, September 26, 2008

TTSOML #91: After Recusal Of Judge #1

Judge #1, for Marion County, Salem, Oregon, stepped down after a few months. I think she probably does a good job with less complicated cases, but my opinion was that she wasn't much of an independent thinker. She relied heavily on the reputation of an attorney, and what firm they were coming from, more than actual substance.

So I filed for recusal, and she stepped down. There was no way she couldn't.

The next judge, I really need some of the paperwork now because I can't remember everything, but it was a man.

I actually think I may need to refresh my memory on these details and the names of judges before I continue with the litigation posts.

It was certaintly a learning experience. The justice system was totally different from what I expected. I learned what lawyers talk about when they saw the law is different in "theory" than in "practice". I also can understand the frustration lawyers have with incompetent or prejudiced judges. Judicial misconduct sometimes falls within the scope of the FBI, and it's no wonder. It's a position of great public trust (supposedly) and there is actually a high degree of corruption. A lot of attorneys told me most of the good lawyers just don't want the job. So they get stuck with people who want power.

No comments: