Monday, November 30, 2009

My Visit With My Son--Horses

This is the spot where I'll write about visit details aside from his eyes hurting (and usually it's one side in particular), because I already wrote about that in the last post.

Listening to Taylor Swift's "You Belong With Me."

My son again told me he wanted to stay with me, and said he didn't want to go back to Holly's. I could see the monitor writing so I think she did write this down. He is desperate to be with his mother and then he started to look like he was tearing up, about to cry, and then said he had something in his eye, and then said at night he had all this pain and his eyes hurt and he was very "scared" and he just closed his eyes tight and tried to forget it and sleep.

He wants to be with his mother, and it's not because I'm nuts. My son knows what nuts is and he knows his mother is the one who meets his needs best. Okay, back to factual details, from the first of the visit to the end...

Oh, and for the record, I supported the Avila's and said I knew he loved them very much and wanted to spend time with them, and he nodded, but that I understood how he wanted to be with me and I felt the very same way.
***********
We got into the room and I thought he seemed okay, speech-wise, and he was happy to see me. He was a little tired, but otherwise, in good spirits. If my son doesn't have a tumor or other issue, he could be having migraines, though I've never heard of it this young in kids, and it seems to pop up out of nowhere. He will just suddenly comment that he has something in his eye. I don't know if it's to cover up wanting to cry or if it's something else. It would seem like it's something else but I don't know for sure. He does this at almost every visit though.

So otherwise, it was a great visit. No marks on his body, and he seemed to be in good spirits aside from looking tired, thin, and the circles under his eyes.

He was stuffed up with a cold but that seemed normal.

First he wanted to see what I had and I had brought in a radio and some food and he wanted to see the spread.

Then he wanted to read, pretty much right away. I don't know if someone has been talking to him about horses or something, but today he was all about horses. I mean, more than usual. I don't hear him talking about horses a lot, and I don't bring it up. Today, on his own, he brought up wanting a horse. I gave him three stuffed animals to snuggle with while we read, and he said, "I want a horse." I said, "There is a rabbit, a penguin, and a teddy bear, but I don't see a horse." He kept pointing, "right THERE." I didn't see it and then he pulled it out of the bookcase, and it wasn't a stuffed animal, it was a little book in the shape of a horse on wheels called "Pull-a-Pony" and he wanted to snuggle, initially, and not even read this. I thought it was weird, given I had just had a dream where someone is giving me a horse which I say, in my dream, my son would love.

He wanted to read "Frosty The Snowman" first, and also, Clifford, and one called "The Polite Elephant" (which he thought was odd because the animals were drawn to fit in the bus but they were somehow getting in anyway--"It's too big!" he was saying), the Curious Cat's First Christmas (which he thought was odd because there was no snow in it), and the pony book along with the book about babies.

I have been thinking about babies lately, and wouldn't mind having more, for myself and for my son to enjoy. Of course, it's not possible right now. But I would like to have more children. Oliver is 3 now and I wouldn't mind having another before he's 5 years old. How in the world that would happen I have no idea, but Oliver is very interested in babies right now.

While reading, he was very cuddly and wanted to be very close. First he sat on my lap but then he wanted to lie down "snug as a bug in a rug" wrapped in his blanket with me lying alongside and my arm about, reading to him. I could tell he really enjoyed this and he was in a very bright mood afterwards. He just needed to cuddle for awhile and hear some stories.

Then, he was very contentedly putting tuna salad onto crackers. I've noticed he gets this look on his face, of calm contentment when making things. Whether it's cutting and squeezing lime onto tacos himself, or putting tuna on just right, or, molding play dough into "A John Deere", he likes making use of his hands and either doing things for himself, doing new things, or creating.

We found the play dough and I said I would make a snowman and he said he was going to make "A John Deere" but we both decided to make snowmen. He gave me eyes for the snowman and then he kept going back to the book to see what kinds of things to add to our snowman. He put buttons on and then gave me "gloves" for his hands, which I'd already made. He said frosty needed gloves or his hands would be cold.

It was really cute because he did another thing, demonstrating trying to help and thinking of me. He saw what chair I was sitting on, next to him, at the table, and he said, "mama, you need a different chair!" I said yes, the one I was sitting on was very small.. So he made me get up, he moved my chair out from beneath me and put it to the side, and then he walked over to the other table, took a larger chair out, and dragged it over to me. I just stood there, surprised and pleased and thanked him. I didn't even think about it, and didn't care what chair I was sitting on, but he made sure I had one he thought would be more comfortable for me.

It was so cute. He has been doing this at almost every visit, trying to "help" or look out for me. He's 3! It's really cute when your 3 year old is reversing the roles and being a little caregiver and protector. Very sweet.

I was just sitting there, working on the snowman, and he looked over at me and decided my chair wasn't going to work for me.

I just found this song by Indigo Girls while writing: Fly Away. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrkDuVYSmh0

I like it.

Anyway, I don't know how the time flew, but the visit didn't take up much and yet time passed quickly. We spent a lot of time in content partial silence, or just cuddling, reading, and then making things. He also wanted to read the Winnie-the-Pooh book and have me sing songs to it a few times.

I asked him if he liked "The Hobbit" and his eyes lit up. He said, "Yes, I like the Hobbit."

At one point he took this giraffe and had me feeding the giraffe and he spoke in a very "low" (for him) voice and I kept having to rescue the giraffe and then Oliver had it "dying" which I didn't like, because it shows he's watched things "die" in cartoons or t.v.

No comments: