Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Formal Genealogy...Any Ideas?

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on which site might be best for trying to put together a formal genealogy tree?

I keep seeing ancestry.com but I don't know if this is a good one and it says it's only free for 14 days. I should ask my friend Geoff, who is a genealogist.

Actually, I should use this post to advertise for him! because he flies all over, conducting seminars for genealogical research and to help people put things together.

I know that most of my relatives have written things down and kept an accurate recording of things, but I just get the conversational stuff that pops up now and then. I don't have a place to re-document things. I figured I'd do it for my son and do a formal tree and try to piece it together, and then have a separate journal with all the family anecdotes.

It might be fun to find some other distant relatives too...I mean, if it makes sense and they are close enough. I know I once got ahold of some Breigenzers in Michigan but didn't follow up and then I would be interested in knowing about any other family fathered by my great-great-grandfather Garrett, in Pennsylvania. I am curious to know if they carried on a similiar musical tradition. I am also curious about the Howard family and if they're Irish or English? I think English but I don't know. But both Nana's mother and father were Howards so I'd like to know which branch. For all this European ancestry, I think my Grandfather Garrett (Papa), liked Native Americans best. For each birthday I always got a Native American card with an Indian scene or painting on it. Usually Native American women.

No comments: