Thursday, September 4, 2008

Policeman In D.C. Charged With Pot Possession

I read this in the paper yesterday and it was written straight, but I couldn't believe it. This police officer was in a park, not far from my house, and smoking a joint. He was off-duty.

Someone called police, about "suspicious" characters "loitering" in the park. Police came and pursued and the officer ran from them. He was cited and charged with misdemeanor pot possession, evading police, and speeding/reckless driving. The guy was an 18 year veteran. At the end of the article it also states his ex-wife had a restraining order against him. Which really has nothing to do with this pot thing. I mean, I believe there was probably a problem, if his wife sought this, but it has nothing to do with pot possession.

What I wonder, first, is if this officer is black. Why was he deemed "suspicious"? was it just racism at play?

The second thing that hits me, is that a police officer was RUNNING from other officers, over smoking a joint. This is really sad. I sat out in the open, outside a cafe the other day, in the middle of town, and I smoked my joint. Now, someone could say, "Well, she has a medical reason for smoking" and let it slide. But, I have to say, I'm not just a proponent for the rights of those with medical conditions anymore, but for civil rights and the freedom to make choices for oneself. How sad that officers had to chase a fellow officer over a little pot. If the guy was smoking to relax, what is the big deal? Maybe he can make decisions for himself. He's a man. A big boy. If he can get drunk, I'm sure he can figure out whether smoking a little is good or bad for him, personally. Besides which, I've heard from doctors that pot, recreationally, tends to help those with anger issues. It's probably a good idea, if he has a restraining order against him, to smoke a little weed now and then. It doesn't make someone angrier or more uptight, that's for sure.

I think I'm becoming libertarian in a lot of ways. I've been meeting who are, and I think this is sort of what category I'm falling into politically. I don't know.

If I had more time, I'd try to support this officer. The law has to change. What officer, in his right mind, wants to put away another officer for smoking a fucking joint? when there are more terrible things to waste time pursuing.

The article was published in the Wednesday, September 3, 2008 edition of "The Washington Post", section B4. I pulled it out and took it home.

No comments: