Thursday, June 18, 2009

Wallis

Guess what discovery I made today?

I keep drawers and closets and boxes shut, generally, when I'm at others' houses. Simply out of respect, from a habit I've had since I was young. Now and then, though, I guess something draws me.

I am not drawn to reading other people's diaries without permission, even if they're in the open. No temptation whatever. But I was looking at this necklace and thinking it was pretty, and not out of ltemptation but on an artistic level, I wanted to see what other jewelry there was.

So I opened a drawer.

The first thing I picked up was a charm bracelet and the first charm was a crest which said about it: Wallis.

I didn't know it was a charm bracelet when I lifted it from the pile and then I just looked at the first charm. I don't know what Wallis is for either but it's a crest in red and white and it made me think about Wallis, that woman who the one guy abdicated for, and whose house Diana and Dodi considered buying.

No comments: