Wednesday, December 23, 2009

On "Diana The Last Word" by Simmons

Whew. I managed to read an entire book in one day, front to cover. Did most of my reading in the tub. Fill with hot water--went cold, fill with hot water. It's amazing how clean one can get after a 3 hour soak! haha.

This was a more detailed book, and yet, I said to myself and my great aunt again, "There is so much information--I don't know what I got myself into." And then I have doubts, such as "what's the point? why not let her rest in peace?" but I still think there is something to add, possibly, that I might be able to sum up into a book, but I want to do it correctly.

A few things stood out to me, after reading this book...

I wrote a couple of notes last night, about Simmons' quote from Di, "If anything happens to me Simmone, tell it like it is."

What seems strange, is that she writes about Di's lovers (juicy gossip) but she BURNED Di's "dossier". Tell it like it is...indeed. I imagine Di was concerned about something happening to her with either someone aligned with a family member or, probably her work in landmines, and she entrusted important information to someone who turns around and BURNS it 2 days after her death. And then writes about it like it's no big deal and she's just getting rid of "bad karma" because it's already come out in the inquest and...What's she got to say about what she did?

I have to say, Simmons is an excellent writer. Er, her writer is an excellent writer. The details are wonderful as well. But again, one person contradicts the other and I also see where one person sort of covers for the other as well.

I think it's sad, mainly, that the things Di entrusted to others for safekeeping, were destroyed, stolen, and lost.

It doesn't make sense, some of the things Simmone writes about either. She details some of the tapings of staff complaints about other royals, but says nothing really about what was in the dossier. I'm quite sure Simmone read through it and was informed. I don't think Simmone honored Di's request.

No comments: