Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Grecian Foot

I will have to flesh this out better at some point, perhaps in the way I wrote about sectoral heterochromia. I was looking at my feet and toes in particular and remembering how my mother's family said I had the "Baird toes" and how my grandmother had said once it was called the Athenian foot and was a sign of beauty or royalty.

Lol. Most of my boyfriends didn't like my feet. They were accustomed to seeing short and tapered toes I think. The only man to comment favorably was my first boyfriend's father, who is a bit of a brain, but I didn't know what he was talking about when he took particular interest in my feet. Maybe he just had a foot fetish. But he told me I had aristocratic feet because my arches were so high and my second toe was slightly longer than the big toe. I have a very narrow heel, very high arches, and the toe thing.

So, I suppose, with all of my various disorders, I might start claiming I'm a real thoroughbred. I've had some seizures, sectoral heterochromia, and I've got "the foot" or "the toes". lol. I am laughing so hard right now. I'm going to have to put a positive spin on all of my body's odd or recessive traits.

I did some research though, and it IS interesting, and I'll write about it soon, but it is more common among the Celts, Welsh, and nordic types and then goes back to Greece originally, and then Roman times. But it's referred to as a Grecian foot.

At any rate, there are some genetic factors which are interesting, but the Bairds have always grumbled about their toes. Maybe it's nothing to grumble about. Well, this is just a bookmark for now but maybe I can create a point of pride in the long and longer-than-big-toe clans.

One study, was done by an English podiatrist and she found the Saxons had the traditionally tapered toes while some of the other groups could be found with the other type. Kind of interesting. Everyone is different.

Hmm, I was just thinking, my father has this kind of toe too. Maybe his is from the Irish side? or French? I always thought he was a little more English than anything else, oh, but Nana said French, that there was a lot more French than she'd thought originally. I always heard stories about the potato famine in Ireland though.

I sort of think...too,, for being so rare, it was also a trait in the feet of my last two boyfriends. I am not entirely sure. It's a recessive trait, between 2-10% of the population has it. Mine isn't so noticeable but it's very pronounced in some people.

No comments: