Monday, May 18, 2009

Lucky Guess On Ukranaians

I just had a lucky guess. Walking in for my visit with my son I noticed a couple walking behind me. I turned, and in one second "Ukranian" flashed to mind. So I said, on the spot, "Are you Ukranian?"

You should have seen the looks on their faces. The woman stared at me, unsmiling and shocked and said, "How did you know that?" I said, "Oh, I don't know." Then I asked if they were new to the area and they stared at me and said "yes." I said, "Oh! How long?" and they said, "20 days." I said, "Ukraine before that?" and they just stared and then said..."yes." I said, "Well! Welcome to Wenatchee!"

They just stared and sort of smiled. They probably think they're under some kind of government surveillance, poor people.

Really, the first thing that came to my mind was "Russians". But then it was more specific: "Ukraine".

Anyone could check on this. This couple came in right after me and signed into the computer station. It was about 9:35 or so. Man and woman from Ukraine, new to the states.

What's weird is I didn't hear them speak to eachother so I didn't hear any accent, and I didn't look at them before the words "Russian" and "Ukranian" came to mind. I had a split second to look at them, and I only saw her in the face before I blurted out my question.

No comments: