Friday, May 22, 2009

Sold First Painting For $100 (& Missing Clyties)

I sold my blue painting for $100 to a new roommate. I used to have a bunch of paintings, all modern, and I have no idea what happened to them. I seriously don't know. I think I threw a couple away but some of them I believe I had in storage and they disappeared. I don't think I gave any of them away. But I think...OHHHh! Now I remember! I had a BUNCH of really cool paintings and they were stored at my college and I either left them there too long or they were stolen. I do remember now. I didn't have them locked away and they all went missing. I remember that's what happened to all the modernist abstract stuff I did while taking painting in college.

You know what, I did a cool one in high school and it disappeared too, but my teacher said it was because I'd left it behind so he didn't know what happened to it. My best friend had claimed it but it was lost. It was a painting of a sunflower with face to the sun. "Clytie". The petals of the sunflower swirled up into the sun, oh, and the roots of the sunflower swirled into the water, representing the sea, from the famous Greek myth. I should have named it: "She Waited Way Too Long". It was done in white, yellow, and blue, with some green. Maybe a touch of orange too and brown but I can barely remember. I just remember the inspiration and idea came to mind from the myth of Clytie.

That one was acrylic. I really don't like acrylic much. It dries too fast. But I sometimes like using it just to mix it up with other mediums and get a stiffer texture.

I wish I were taking a class. It's less expensive that way. I used to know how to stretch my own canvas and build a frame, and I was looking at rolls of canvas, but I need the right table or desk and hammer and nails and right sticks/wood and corners, and all of that. It's a lot less expensive and not hard to do, but just a pain. I need a place, or I want a place, for all my messy things. A little room with a view.

Well, I'm off to get a little more paint to paint. I have a shoebox in storage with some good oils, but in smaller tubes. I think they're still good so I'll have to check it out.

No comments: