Monday, February 1, 2010

Computer Hacking: Deleted and Orphaned Files

I turned off the computer after leaving it on last night. I left it on when I left the house, and roommates still there. So I didn't turn it off and then restart until just now.

I got a message that several alterations had been made. I have to have a computer person check it out.

The only other time this happened was when I was at Floyd's house and left the computer there while I left to visit with someone else. I came back to a bunch of deleted and orphaned files.

I tried to write everything down but it processed too fast for me to document everything. What I got was:

Deleting corrupt attribute record 128 from file segment 55657
deleting corrupt attribute record 128 from file segment 68247
file verification complete
CHDSK verfying indexes
correcting error in index $I30 for file 59724
correcting error in index $I30 in file 59724
Orphaned...58517
58563
58577
58598
58611
then a bunch of other things, and then inserting something or other. It moved too fast to capture everything.

This has only happened twice since I've had this computer: once when I left it on at the house with a former housemate and then this time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's called check disk. It automatically runs when it detects possible errors in the physical drive. Be glad it ran because a few more errors on your machine (not from computer hackers), usually by turning the machine off other than using the menu, and your machine wouldn't work at all.

Mama said...

Dear Anonymous,

Thank you for your input. From what I've read, it happens from turning off the computer without using menu (occasionally) or when someone has actually deleted material. It can happen either way, and rebooting will cause the system to clear things which are needed (or wanted) to clear.

Thank you for taking the time to write in and let others know about all of the possibilities, which I neglected to mention this time. I do appreciate it.

I believe I'm open minded and fair, and yet, if anything, I'm finding I've been too fair in the past and allowed far too many things to go, hoping things will just work out.