Friday, April 17, 2009

image of Savannah Grace and Buried Treasure

I was almost asleep, thinking about "x" marks the spot for some reason--buried treasure or something...almost in a dream but not quite, and then the words "Savannah Grace" popped into my head. I don't know why. I tried to think if someone with that name has talked to me or someone mentioned that name but I don't think so. I also don't know if it's a name or a description of something.

But Savannah Grace, and I have no idea if it means something or not, but because it's so random, I wanted to write it down before I fall asleep and forget.

I guess I may as well try some free associations for kicks. That's what the "images" are usually, not poems. I write them out in stanzas though, for some reason, short lines.
*************************

purple stones like amythest
rod of aaron pointing west
seagulls on the mast
white flag in the mist
cyst of orange jello and poppies
cropping up the dusting plane
in the dust bowl of plain maryland
hands down, guns drawn
spreading out the rainbow poster across the wall
at the elementary school classroom
gone, with the paint and jars of azure water
brushes on the pan
purple stones of sediment
swirl like fools gold
skullbones crossbones dagger in heart
my fair romeo
grace i give you, my grace i give to thee
hexing and vexing me with 40
quartering me with swords
but my grace is sufficient to keep and save
i save you with my sleeve
invisible to the eyes of all, to god,
everchanging for neverchanging
chameleon for constancy
deeper than the well was dug
the grave they made for me
i filled with tears for you, for me,
for my baby
blew upon the waters
cast away my bread
broken is this body, for you, i give you peace
my grace is sufficient
for you and for me
walking through the stairwell
carved into the horse's knee
initials of i love you
bark raving madly
to shore for you
i jump from the ship to cross the widest sea
to stumble on your raging reeds and pussy willows
weeping hear a baby sing
moses
black as hands of my beloved
falter tying at the knot a noose for lovers
heaping sea across sea across sea
anchor made of skullbones
sniping from the tree
natasha, nikita, natalia, nadir
holding back the bait
from the bear
(this is an absolute nonsense thing,
really an image or idea at all...just
stream of thought or fleet of ideas or
simple words strung )
sense and sensibility
cape of tar
molasses climbing trees after a flood
mississippi moonshine and madness
skipped with a steel pail bucket
free weights again
but trudging through the sand

chipping away the paint of an old red car
nails burnt down sitting on an afternoon
too much money and little to do
black and red make maroon
coloring with crayon on paint by number board
name on the board
fingerprints, dna, medical records
total and complete invasion of privacy
section 1983 is the number
section fucking 1983
for getting caught doing nothing
in 2001
for getting caught doing nothing
in 2002
for getting caught doing nothing
in 2003
for getting caught doing nothing
in 2004
for getting caught doing nothing
in 2005
for getting caught doing nothing
in 2006
for getting caught doing nothing
in 2007
for getting caught doing nothing
in 2008
for talking too much in class and forgetting to ask permission to use the bathroom.
for chewing gum and not bringing enough to share with everybody. for calling names.
for being a tell-tale when teacher doesn't like it and thinks all reporters are snitches. for not being ladylike. for inappropriate "behavior", like noticing you're fucking brighter than the teacher and the entire class is falling asleep after lunch because the lessons are so dull, finding the scent of scouring white abrasive soap more interesting on the desk than anything to look at on the board. for being bored by stupidity and shocked by brutality. for turning the other cheek to allow someone to slap you again. for fighting back verbally. for walking away when assaulted physically, to call the police.
************************************

someone wants to be buried.
i want to put this to rest
but in case i should need it
i want dna, in case...well,
i haven't decided yet
****************************

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I was thinking about this name, Savannah Grace and the first thing that came to mind is Saving Grace. Of course, it's not the same, so I looked up the meaning of Savannah and it means Plateau. Plateau by definition is as follows:
1. An elevated, comparatively level expanse of land; a tableland.
2. A relatively stable level, period, or state

I don't know if the name has any meaning. I always associate Grace with God. If you combine the two, maybe your dream is stating that there is stability in God's grace. Although that statement is ture, the interpretation of the name combination might be a stretch. It is definitely true though.

Praying for you....

Mama said...

Thank you for sending me this. I was looking up the name in a google search and finding stuff (with my combo of x marks the spot and hidden treasure) about Treasure Island.

Lol. Something about an island.

Anyway, yeah, I get this. Thank you for writing this--it's a good way to start the morning.

Thank you for praying for me. I have no doubt it gives me better sense of peace of mind.

Tom Scruggs said...

There is a famous gravestone in Bonaventure cemetery in Thunderbolt (near Savannah) of Gracie Watson a little girl who was killed by a passing wagon in the 1800's her family was wealthy and built a lifesize monument to her in thecemetery before moving away. look it up on google amazing statue