Thursday, April 16, 2009

Music

"A House Is Not A Home" by Luther Vandross...Great song. Good eventual homecoming song. Will you be...still in love with me? Say you're gonna be in love with me.

I adore Jill Scott's "I'm Not Afraid". I noticed her after the first couple of measures. I like everything about that song. The brazen and still sensitive lyrics, the sheer comfortable sexuality expressed, and her voice. Beautiful.

Also noticed Corinne Bailey Rae. Everytime I hear her, I click to see who it is. She's so talented and I like the fresh cabaret style. To me, she's sort of a modern cabaret but cabaret can sound like an insult and I don't mean it this way. Exceptional song by her--"Like a Star"--beautiful. The internal rhyme and poetry of the lyrics, the natural and yet sort of old-fashioned composition is what I like most about this song.

Like ? from CD "The Art of Love and War" ...Sometimes I wanna love you/sometimes I wanna hate you. Perfect. lol.

I like "Praying For Time" by George Michael. Everytime I hear "The Healer" by Erykah Badu, my ears perk up and I click and then remember it's her. She is one of my very favorites. By far. Just genius. Not too many artists I deem to be genius, but I think she is. She is a creative genius and I would love to see her mixing things up and coming up with ideas in the studio.

Braxton's "Un-break My Heart" is such a good song even though it's older, I like it a lot. I just love her. I also like Corinne Rae's "til it happens to you" and the billy holiday old scratchy muddy recording switch at the end. Like Me'Shells "Solomon" and the speaking part that comes before the song.

I like Chaka Khan's religious-gospel version of "Through the Fire" and it reminds me of the black gospel church I used to go to. I like "King of Sorrow" by Sade and it was one of few CDs I actually bought and owned. The whole thing is so melancholy but it's rich. I haven't heard "Change" by Stansfield forever but I really like it.

No comments: