Thursday, April 16, 2009

Clair de Lune by Alexis Weissenberg

All day yesterday "Clair de lune" kept coming to mind. I tried to play it but the lastfm.com wouldn't work. It came to mind again and I found this version, and it's so beautiful I had tears in my eyes. Especially torwards the last half, when the tempo picks up a little or the piano work is more intricate and rises in volume. This is a very talented performance, I think, where emotion seems to come from the piano.

It makes me think of my son too, because he and I have a special affection for the moon.

Hmm. I think I don't know what Klavierwerke means. I tried looking "him" up and I don't think it's a person but a genre or something. I found "klaviermusik" and other references so I have to find out who the actual pianist is.

I found the performer. It's not a "he", it's a "she" and the name is Alexis Weissenberg. So I'll have to look her up as I'm very impressed. I don't know how anyone could keep a dry eye in a room with her playing.

I found the track on lastfm, and the recording is a Masters production.

Oh, another discovery--it's not a "she", it's a "he" and he was born in the early part of the last century, in Bulgaria to Jewish French parents. I guess he's supposed to be pretty good (good reviews from those who know). I don't know how to describe classical music, but I think I have an ear for excellence.

I don't know whether I get tears in my eyes because of an empathy for the mood or if it's because it's just so beautiful. I think it's because it's beautiful.

No comments: