Friday, April 17, 2009

Music Today & Food

Yesterday I had great Mexican food. It was inexpensive and sooooooooooo good! Wenatchee has, seriously, some of the best authentic Mexican food. You cannot find it in D.C. It's more El Salvadorian fare there, or food from Peru (which has hot sauce hotter than Mexican hot sauce). I missed Mexican food! I've been eating Red Lion food too. lol. The chicken fettucine with the alfredo and mushroom sauce, and the glazed hazelnut salmon with pear salad (blue cheese vinegrette). I have been eating that salmon salad for breakfast! I ordered it again today. Shouldn't, but did. Should be eating apples to save money but I have developed an appetite.

I am listening to Jaguar Wright's "Self Love" and it's the first song that has really got me going--wanting to sing THIS ONE. I need to find some jazz people and work this one out at the little cafe down the Avenue. I love her lyrics, and her music and the soul behind it. She got me going on this one. Yay women! Is Jaguar her stage name or did her mother just know???

Also liked the words on "Get Up" by Amel Larrieux. Lauryn Hill's "Doo Wop (that thing)" with the talking at the end, about being in love and the difference of love. Also, impressed by Elha Fi Rouhek's "Bital". Really cool Arabic influence and beautiful, beautiful. I read he can sing opera in 7 different languages. Also really liked Angie Stone's "Soul Insurance" (are you ready for love?) and Erykah Badu's "Me".

This "Self Love" is the kind of style I used to do improv in high school around my best friend Monica, and then throw in a little opera too.

I can do a little improv with "How Does It Feel" by D'Angelo, and "Everything is Everything" by Lauryn Hill...sets it up to add on. Everything is Everything is instrumental and I added words, this morning to the effect of "you're on a need to know basis...but i need to know, everyhing. everything means everything--everything is everything baby." I added a bunch of lyrics about taking it slow, info, need to know, and you know sho nuff, what i know, it's one to roll on. Me'Shell's "Lovely, Lovely" is another one that works well for throwing it out and adding on. Sort of like add on jazz like the rap artists add on to the background shit. I like it.

JILL SCOTT is HOT. "Crown Royal" is awesome. All of her songs are crazy good. I don't see how she will do anything but go to the top. Her lyrics are so explicit but beautiful. Not explicit for the sake of being vulgar or getting attention, but just pure poetry. LOVE her. She has a really nice sense of rap rhythm with smooth vocals and poetic, sexually charged, and empowering lyrics. I don't feel she degrades women or sets herself up to be the OBJECT. She writes from a neutral and godly standpoint that is just straight physical. And then the reverse. She is in control of her shit and the message. I like the piano trailing in Angie Stone's "Lover's Ghetto".

Lovers Ghetto. Hahaaaa. Welcome to Wenatchee mi amor.

Oh I like Bilal. He's really good. "Second Child". Nice. I think this one is another to watch...he's got some really fantastic mixing going on and experimental shit. I like the blending of all these different sounds. It works in such a weird way. Almost a subliminal song. Very stream of consciousness. This is SOOooooo GOOD. This is a song that is a movie unto itself. I can see it in a movie but then no, I see it AS a movie. It's everything in one. Nice job.

No comments: