Friday, January 2, 2009

Argument with Spitzer over Cytotec & Methergine

The argument went like this:

Spitzer was telling me they gave me a prescription for Methergine, and she said it didn't do the same thing as Cytotec. She said Cytotec causes contractions for expulsion of placental remains, and had action on the uterus, and she said Methergine was used for abortion of ectopic pregnancy and that it shrinks down the fetus.

I told her yes, Methergine did have some of the same actions as Cytotec and they were in a similar class. She kept telling me I was wrong, so I gave her a tutorial right then and then and said that I knew:

Methergine was used for action similar to Cytotec and while I didn't know the agent that caused contractions with Cytotec, the purpose was to constrict vascular action and blood vessels, and that Methergine did this too, and was used to "tone" the uterus by constricting the blood vessels, and I told her, I didn't know about Cytotec's compound qualities, but Methergine was an ergot compound and this is what caused the vascular contriction. I also told her, that I knew not only was METHERGINE used for aborting "ectopic pregnancy", but that Cytotec was also known to be an abortant of ectopic pregnancies and could be used for this as well. I also told her that because Methergine has such similiar actions, being an ergot compound, it most likely would have caused the same kind of reaction I had to Cytotec and while it's supposed to decrease bleeding, could have caused me to hemmorhage again and that's why I wasn't taking it outside of medical supervision.

She got nervous when I told her I knew Cytotec was also used for abortion and would cause the death of an ectopic. Anyway, after I explained a few things, about how they are drugs of a similar class and are used for similar results, because of their actions, she quit talking. Before this whole explanation of what I knew, she had been talking to me in absolutes and black and white "it's impossible" and acting like I didn't know as much as she knew. So she was then saying it was normal I was bleeding still and I said I didn't think it was, and she then said, "I'M the DOCTOR" and that's when I told her, "YOU are one of FIVE different opinions" and she stopped for a minute and then said that was true. Then she went on to claim Methergine was nothing at all like Cytotec, and I told her what I knew.

On another instance, Spitzer and the intern, were obviously just learning and Spitzer got on MY case, for crying out in pain when they were doing an internal exam and suddenly there was new pressure and pain because they pushed the thing in more. Spitzer started to criticize me, telling me there WOULD be pain, and not to move, and I told HER, "You're supposed to describe to the patient what you're doing. If you know you are going to be applying more pressure, you need to walk the patient through it and tell them you will be applying more pressure, so they know what's going on and can be prepared." At that, Spitzer, to her credit (and I was duly impressed that she is at least "teachable"), agreed and then began describing what they were doing.

I think she will be a good doctor because she while she has a "know it all" approach and thinks in absolutes now, she is able to admit if something is wrong, and able to adapt and learn from her mistakes. Spitzer has her MD but she's still training, I guess, in residency or whatever it is.

She is vastly different from "Army Doctor" who, I don't think, should be allowed to be a doctor at all. Army Doctor was a know-it-all too, but she wasn't going off of what her advisors were telling her, she just made it clear she wasn't a logical thinker to begin with, and you can't have people like that, in charge of the well-being and healthcare of others. I mean, she was saying CRAZY things, in my opinion, and I would not advise ANYONE to go to PGH unless they already knew what was wrong with them and just needed a medication or very basic care. The PGH doctors, for the most part, were NOT good. I was very shocked by the treatment I got there.

I am also now wondering why they wanted to give me Cytotec. They were ready to send me home, so I don't think it was totally necessary. They said either a D&C or Cytotec. But if there was an ectopic pregnancy, and it was still alive when the other fetus had died, it certainly died with the Cytotec.

I believe I had another baby. I think I was pregnant with twins. I think the Cytotec killed the ectopic baby or started shrinking it down. Either it died from the MRI like James River did, or it died from Cytotec. It would have started shrinking with the Cytotec, and on radiology reports, it says whatever was inside of my ovary, within one day, had shrank in size. The radiology was done from one day to the next. The Cytotec would cause the shrinking of a fetus in an ovary.

I would have tried to carry the other baby. Ovarian pregnancies are not as dangerous as tubal ectopics and ectopics in other locations. I would have totally given the other baby a chance.

I wanted both babies.

No comments: