Thursday, December 25, 2008

CPS Discrimination of Oliver's Disability (March 26, 2008)

CPS Discrimination of a Child's Disability‏
From: cam huegenot (cameocares@live.com)
Sent: Wed 3/26/08 6:42 PM
To: scnl300@dshs.wa.gov (scnl300@dshs.wa.gov); tomasc@atg.wa.gov (tomasc@atg.wa.gov)
Cc: dicksiedael@aol.com
Bcc: hollybeanpole@aol.com



Mr. Caballero,

I want to address your comment about how an MRI must be warranted because it is distressing to a child to have one done.

First of all, I've had MRIs done, and it is not that big of a deal. To a child, the main stressor would be the knocking noise and unfamiliarity of setting. With me and my aunt there, done at a professional children's hospital which does this sort of thing all the time, the most possible comfort can be had for my son.

I do believe it would still be somewhat distressing to him, as he does not like to be "confined" to a space. However, the short term stress of having an MRI isn't enough reason to put it off.

I have watched my son live with distress and frustration since he became unable to speak. It has been one full year. He attempts to articulate, and understands everything that is said to him and follows even complicated directions, but cannot and does not speak. He tries, and gets frustrated. Today in visitation, a ball was under the couch that he wanted me to get for him. He couldn't express this verbally so he put his entire body into it, with first one arm pointing, and then BOTH arms outstretched, flung towards the ball, with his chest out, and he let out an unintelligable wail. My son has been trying to use body language to express his needs and wants, because he isn't able to speak.

I have been advocating for him to be tested, and spoken out about my concerns for over a year. Still, no one is listening to me.

It is a ridiculous idea to have Wenatchee speech therapists who have already proved incompetent by their inability to collect a full medical/verbal history from my son's mother, conduct any further "work up" and try to "work with him" on his speech. It is beyond that. My son is not a slow learner and still exhibits all the signs of extreme intelligence. He is not speaking because it is mechanically impossible for him to do so, and the origin of this problem is likely to be found in the brain. My son has attempted to accomodate for his lack, by using body language, and the older he gets, the more frustrated he becomes at his inability to communicate with others. My son would easily and readily pick up sign language. He loves to dance, adores songs with hand motions, and picks up on nonverbal signs. He can express himself this way.

My son needs to be learning sign language. It is wrong to allow him to struggle unaided, and expect him to start communicating the way Wenatchee wants him to communicate, in their typical conformist way. I am not saying my son cannot work on verbal skills and I do believe he will speak one day. In the meantime, he needs a way to express himself, and he must begin NOW rather than later. What is distressing to my son, is being neglected by the medical professionals in Wenatchee, who have ignored all my concerns. What is distressful to my son, is being left to flounder on his own, when he is capable of quickly picking up a skill, sign language. Sign language is proven to not detract from verbal progress, but to enhance it and spur it on.

An MRI will show whether there is a mechanical problem affecting his brain, in the speech department. It will also lend further evidence to support his need for educational opportunities in signing.

I will take signing classes with him, and learn this language. I am also quick to learn, and I will do anything to be able to communicate with my son. But I need lessons too. I will do my part if you will do yours.

Signing is like any other language. It must be started early. My son is at an extremely important phase in his development where not only should he be able to communicate intellectually, but able to share with others socially.

My son is still meeting all his developmental milestones ahead of time. Except verbal speech.

If you want to help him, you have to be willing to put him through an hour or so of testing that may be "distressful" in order to give him tools which will effectively eliminate a major source of distress in his life.

I am both trying to appeal to you and to reason with you. How could any doctor, or speech therapist, ignore my son's needs? To put off an MRI would be a further waste of time. Speech therapists cannot "work with" a mechanical brain problem if there is one. Signing will enable him to communicate in another way. Additionally, if there is a small problem in his brain which can be FIXED, this needs to be checked out.

He has every need and right to this diagnostic.

I have always advocated for my son, and will not quit now. If you ignore my request, you will be practicing discrimination of a disability. In Washington state, the disability does not need a formal diagnosis in order for there to be grounds for discrimination. I'm sure you're aware of the law.

I will be contacting the ADA people.

In the meantime, I hope my son's PCP can find grounds for referring him out for MRI, and I will be looking into signing schools since I don't believe any of you will be doing this legwork. I also object to my son having anything else to do with Wenatchee speech therapists until he is evaluated by a speech therapist from out of the area which I also approve of and consent to.

Thanks,

Cameo Garrett

No comments: