Friday, December 19, 2008

Discrimination Of Poor and Gifted Infant (Nov. 21, 2006)

Flag this message
the letter this gifted ed. person responded to
Tuesday, November 21, 2006 1:33 PM
From:
"loree baird"
Add sender to Contacts
To:
eaglelaw@qwest.net, dick.whittemore@bullivant.com, dslader@spiritone.com
This does help. I thought I would ask you too, do you think the poor are often discriminated against in this field? or, the children of the poor? I wrote my state gifted association president and she was happy to write to me and asked me, encouraged me, to join their group as a member, and once I told her I was a welfare recipient, and asked if I might join through another contribution (as I could not afford the dues) and she has not written to me since. In fact, I am being totally ignored--I sent two follow-up e-mails after time had passed, and nothing. I am concerned that (as my son is not yet in school) we are going to face the same thing often? What do you think? and are states where gifted education is mandated, better at serving poor or minorities? I am reading a lot of books about gifted ed. and from what I read, there has been a bias in identification, based on income/class.

It is disappointing to encounter what I feel is an "exclusive club" mentality, as if having a gifted child is a status symbol, and I am very concerned about how this may affect how he is treated. How can I be his advocate if no one will listen to me or what I have to say is discredited or not worth listening to?N

No comments: